Feeling frustrated - Valeton GP200 & Headrush 108

Well…I’m putting a band together for my sisters wedding at the end of June and recently-ish picked up a Valeton GP200 when it was on offer, and then got a Headrush 108 off a friend who was selling it for a great price. I’m finding both units pretty frustrating to be honest, though I suspect it’s mostly down to the fact they are both ‘budget’ units and I should have just bought something better!

The Valeton seemed ok out of the box, however, the more I use it, the more I see its limitations (why can’t I rename a bloody block on the screen??!!!!), the sounds are ok but it’s generally a bit of a faff to use, having had a Helix in the past. The drives just seem a bit ‘meh’ and just getting one patch with a bunch of pedals to turn on and off for a covers band is cheesing me off. Maybe it’s because I was used to the Helix and this isn’t as intuitive. It’s just not at all inspiring, though my needs are pretty limited…a nice clean sound, some crunch, and solo setting, with some nice reverb/ delay and the odd modulation (which I could even probably do without for this one). 

The Headrush, as most people know, is a budget FRFR and it’s just ‘ok’. The thing is very bass-y, even raised up a little with those frequencies tricky to completely dial out. I’ve tried cutting some highs and lows on the global settings on the GP200 but it’s still just a bit crap.

Baring in mind I am on a budget, and currently only doing 1 gig (though my old band has mentioned the possibility of some dep work)…should I just stick with these and keep trying to make them sound acceptable, or sell them on and get a Pod Go and some other FRFR?

Or is it just the never ending merry go round of GAS?! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• willowillo Frets: 389
    edited May 6
    With the FRFR, it depends what you are trying to use it for? I have the 108 also and it's fine for me having some control of my stage monitoring. For the audience, I go direct from the Helix to FOH, so it's never a part of the 'tone' the audience hears. For rehearsals it's ok - a solid sound but really portable.

For home practice and setting up presets, I use headphones and you might have more joy with that. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 840
    edited May 6
    Currently it’s just for home monitoring as we’ve not got quite as far as meeting up for a rehearsal!! But it would just be for stage monitoring with an output from the GP200 going straight to the desk. Perhaps when we get together and I can hear it through the PA it will all sound better…
    Oh…and I probably should say I set up my main couple of patches through headphones and they sounded much better!!
    Yeah. I'd definitely try to get some time together at rehearsal volume. It's the truest test of how a preset will sound and I always found I was adjusting things that sounded good at home on headphones, after a rehearsal room session. The Headrush worked OK in rehearsal rooms.

I also thought of a couple of other options to rule out what's irking you with your tone:

- When you owned the Helix, did you get HX Native? You could run a Helix preset you know you like through the Headrush to test it. 

- If you have a guitar amp&cab/combo with an FX loop, you could run the Valeton into that (think the FX loop - I've seen that mentioned, but check beforehand, I've not done it myself) and see if it's sounds better. 
    Yeh, I think it was just one of those days when the whole set up was pissing me off! Doesn’t help my guitar needs some work too! Will give it all a bash at rehearsal and see how we go…probably fine for just monitoring.

Native…I did actually…didn’t think of that…will have a look at that.

I don’t have any amps now unfortunately…I sold pretty much everything when I started my business at the beginning of last year. This is also why funds are tight!

Thanks for the suggestions…much appreciated!
    Good luck! If it helps, I do truly think that 99.99% of people don't really notice our tone, its more of a matter of how it feels for us (at least, in my experience).
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1184
    Bite the bullet and buy an HX Effects and don't look back. They don't even cost that much 2nd hand. 
    Bite the bullet and buy an HX Effects and don't look back. They don't even cost that much 2nd hand. 
    I used to have one and if I had an amp, I’d get another but alas, no amps on them so would have to be the Stomp, Pod Go or LT. Pod Go may be the next step if this doesn’t work out
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4778
    I had a GP200 on approval for a few weeks.  I really liked it and it sounded really good but returned it because it didn't meet my gigging needs in that in stomp mode there was no ability to see what each footswitch did (see my detailed 9 page review) in the file section here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ValetonUsers

And there's nothing at all wrong with the Headrush FRFR108. My Tonelab SE/LE and Pod Go units sound great through them, as did the GP200.  These are fine units and I gig with them. You need to get them off the ground though - I mount them on poles. whilst I have two, these are so loud I've only ever needed one out to the audience although sometimes I'll use one as a monitor cab too. If you can't get a good sound, sorry but I'm afraid it's you not the GP200 or FRFR108

These are a couple of live clips from a recent gig with my TLLE:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    @voxman yep, I read your thoughts on the GP200 and pretty much exactly what I think too! Good device, but some serious drawbacks that make it difficult to use live. Currently, it’s just got to get me through one gig and if I do anymore afterwards, I’ll probably look to swap it unless they release updates for it. I’m going to get a speaker stand for the Headrush as it’s very bassy so I hope that will help.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4778
    @voxman yep, I read your thoughts on the GP200 and pretty much exactly what I think too! Good device, but some serious drawbacks that make it difficult to use live. Currently, it’s just got to get me through one gig and if I do anymore afterwards, I’ll probably look to swap it unless they release updates for it. I’m going to get a speaker stand for the Headrush as it’s very bassy so I hope that will help.
    Mark, massive difference on the stand (as you can hear in my vids), and they're very inexpensive. I use these NJS pole-stands that are only around £20 each inc delivery and are excellent:

https://www.terralec.co.uk/speaker_stands/short_speaker_stand_with_35mm_top_pole_max_height_97cm/21444_p.html

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Cool…thanking you….that will do the job nicely! 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7285
    I didn’t realise just how much a difference a decent FRFR cab made . I bought @firepaulmusic ’s redsound recently as I’ve got a tonex on the way. While I am waiting for the tonex I’ve plugged an old Line 6 pod kidney into it and it sounds huge . I’ve had 2 other cheaper cabs that have disappointed me with an AX8 and a Helix in the past as they didn’t sound full to me like a proper amp would - this thing so far has seriously impressed me 
    @DrCornelius funnily enough, the same friend who sold me the Headrush, was also selling his Fender Tonemaster FRFR which I probably should have bought, but alas funds didn’t allow. They’re supposed to be good too. Again, if I do anymore after this gig, I’ll probably upgrade both