Subtle compression settings to add sustain but not volume

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 319
in FX
HX stomp users I need your help!!

I use an origin RD compact for amp tones into a HX stomp which I use for Fx and IR. I use an eq block in the HX set with a mid bump for solo boost. This works great but feels a bit ‘stiff’ so I was thinking of adding a compressor to help with the feel. However compressors are a total mystery to me, so does anyone have any go to compressor settings they would be happy to share which would add a bit of an improved feel and sustain but not boost volume as the eq block does that nicely!

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4203
    What does ‘stiff’ and ‘feel’ mean to you in this context? Compression isn’t really intended to increase playing dynamics, quite the opposite in fact.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 236
    I'm not sure what stiff means either in this context, but I do use a Revivaldrive into an HX Stomp so will offer some alternative suggestions that may help.

If you are happy with the sound and feel of the RD without the mid boost, then I would use a flat volume boost instead. This is what I do and seems to work well. When I'm looking for a bit more sustain, I switch on a boost pedal in front of the RD. I've used a variety of pedals for this purpose including boost, overdrive, EQ and compressors and all work fine just to give a bit more level into the RD for more drive and sustain.

If you didn't want a separate pedal and the hassle of switching on the HX Stomp boost and the pre RD boost pedal for a solo, there is an alternative method using just the HX. I've not tried it, but you could put the RD in the loop of the HX, add a boost/OD/EQ before the loop in the chain, then a boost after the loop in the chain and link them to the same footswitch. You can then boost the input of the RD for more drive and sustain and boost the overall output at the same time with one switch.
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 276
    I would start by setting the compression to have a slow attack. That means the compression won't kick in straight away, which in turn will mean it has less of an effect on your pick attack. I'm not sure what you mean by 'improved feel' exactly, but setting a slow attack should retain some of your picking dynamics and also add sustain.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    Try the Kinky Comp which is based on the SP Compressor and has a blend knob so you can keep some of the original signal in, helps with not killing all your dynamics.
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    with compressors i usually start by lowering the threshold waaay too much,then set the ratio waaay too high. Then set the attack way too fast and the release waaay too long. That way you can hear what it's doing... Then i start lowering the release time until it's in the ballpark,increase the attack time to taste, then increase the threshold until it's just enough to hear it working. Then dial the ratio waaay back until you can hardly hear it doing anything. Then play with the make up gain to get the right level.

(the order i do these may change, eg. the threshold might get tweaked more often...)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3338
    PetGerbil said:
    with compressors i usually start by lowering the threshold waaay too much,then set the ratio waaay too high. Then set the attack way too fast and the release waaay too long. That way you can hear what it's doing... Then i start lowering the release time until it's in the ballpark,increase the attack time to taste, then increase the threshold until it's just enough to hear it working. Then dial the ratio waaay back until you can hardly hear it doing anything. Then play with the make up gain to get the right level.

(the order i do these may change, eg. the threshold might get tweaked more often...)
    Couldn't help but be reminded of this:

(apologies...I have no idea where all the pixels have gone)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom