Single channel amp and one drive pedal - do you/could you do it?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7670
    Th4fonz said:
    Currently running a Cornell Romany 12 tweed amp with a les paul and I could use either my lazy j cruiser deuce or a klon and that’s all I need.
    I'd have loved one of those amps back in the day - too heavy and loud for me now I reckon 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13983
    I've been using the Mesa Boogie Mark V Crunch voice with a TC Spark boost lately and that's been great, I set and forget the amp and use the Spark to determine the amount of gain and adjust the tone. I would be perfectly happy with a single channel amp based on that and just use the Spark boost.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    TimmyO said:
    Th4fonz said:
    Currently running a Cornell Romany 12 tweed amp with a les paul and I could use either my lazy j cruiser deuce or a klon and that’s all I need.
    I'd have loved one of those amps back in the day - too heavy and loud for me now I reckon 
    It’s come to something when a 10W amp is ‘too loud’. I get the ‘heavy’ bit though, having manhandled my Princeton Reverb up the stairs to your loft extension!
    edited May 10
    Keefy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Th4fonz said:
    It’s come to something when a 10W amp is ‘too loud’. I get the ‘heavy’ bit though, having manhandled my Princeton Reverb up the stairs to your loft extension!
    10 valve watts turned up to nice crunchy breakup is loud - for a home player 

Back in the day for rehearsing and gigging it would have not been loud enough but my life has changed 
    Red ones are better. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    TimmyO said:
    Keefy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Th4fonz said:

Back in the day for rehearsing and gigging it would have not been loud enough but my life has changed 
    I measured the maximum clean output of my DIY AC4 clone at between 2.5W and 3W. It easily achieves ‘too loud’ in my man cave. And I’ve gigged the (12W) PR. So yeah.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1280
    Is it cheating to use something like a Thorpy Dane with a boost on the front?

I could absolutely get by with that…

I like having delay, chorus, and reverb available for a few extra textures, and a post drive (or in the FX loop) boost to give a volume lift is always handy to have, but, with my current band at least, I could definitely Do The Gig without them.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    Victoria Ivy League, Lazy j cruiser 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3942
    TimmyO said:
    Keefy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Th4fonz said:

I don't get the 'back in the day' stuff. Were drum kits louder back in the day?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2392
    edited May 10
    Lebarque said:
    TimmyO said:
    Keefy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Th4fonz said:

Back in the day the majority of 10 watters available would have been cheap, solid state amps not designed for stage use?

The recentish boom in low watt valve amps together with advancements in monitoring, generally reduced stage volumes, and close micing rather than playing the room make back in the day comparisons valid in my view.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2618
    For a long time I gigged with a MusicMan master volume amp.  Cover bands and original material bands (pop, soul and funk rather than rock).  Dirt and reverb from the amp. The only pedal that got regular use was a Boss chorus.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Lebarque said:
    TimmyO said:
    Keefy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Th4fonz said:

I used to gig back in the day - now I play at home 
    Red ones are better.