Bryan Adams and Black Crowes gigs this week in London

What's Hot

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1182
    Looks like exactly the same pile of amps in Nashville, at least on Rich's side. 

The back row isn't the same. No Marshall MG and Vox trapezoidal head from what I can see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6991
    edited May 16
    Looks like exactly the same pile of amps in Nashville, at least on Rich's side. 

The back row isn't the same. No Marshall MG and Vox trapezoidal head from what I can see.
    The back row is obviously part of the set, just there’s to close off the gap to the keyboard position. The set allows the backing musicians to be seen and is more interesting for the audience.

The Cadillac Three had a similar vibe - much more interesting thatn Boring Bryan Adam’s, wearing black on an empty stage.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27531
    Yeah my guess is they bring most of the back row as empty combo cabs just to build up the riser and give some scene setting, then hire a small number of heads to fill it out ("1 orange, 2 marshalls please"), or whatever

I don't dislike the BA setup at all though - particularly in the RAH where you have seats behind the stage as well. Very different vibe but neither band would have felt right within the other's staging
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6569
    The Crowes are a bucketlist gig for me, but not with the current lineup (that drummer…meh) but that’s a decent set list they played in London. I would have been chuffed to hear I Ain’t Hiding. 

The Crowes are a bucketlist gig for me, but not with the current lineup (that drummer…meh) but that’s a decent set list they played in London. I would have been chuffed to hear I Ain’t Hiding. 
    Im seeing them for the eight time on Saturday at Wolverhampton (spanning 1992 - now!) with a few Magpie Salute and solo Rich Robinson gigs thrown in. They always put on a great show (if you like jamming), change setlists every show and have such a great back catalogue they have superb songs to play. Bands change over time - you have to go with it or miss out!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3372
    Same. One of my fave bands but this isnt the black crowes to me, Ford and Gorman were just as important as the Robinsons. I did consider going on Monday though. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6569
    mrkb said:
    Im seeing them for the eight time on Saturday at Wolverhampton (spanning 1992 - now!) with a few Magpie Salute and solo Rich Robinson gigs thrown in. They always put on a great show (if you like jamming), change setlists every show and have such a great back catalogue they have superb songs to play. Bands change over time - you have to go with it or miss out!

Indeed, and the Crowes have changed a lot over the years in ways which I have happily gone with…but the current drummer takes the band in a direction I choose not to follow. Is all.

Found a couple of good vids

Black Crowes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5bKWAAkCQU 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGxGmuCHZBw

And for some reason I can only find a short of Bryan Adams, but it's well worth it :)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B6AvmrqSU2I
  • Eviltwin14Eviltwin14 Frets: 101
    Saw the Crowes back in the day. I think at Glasgow Barrowland c1991 maybe. They had Burning Tree as support which was Marc Ford's band. We loved that BT album and it was one of the first I learned to play a lot of the stuff on. I remember having a drink with the band (Burning Tree) at the bar. Out of curiosity I went to the Crowes London gig. Sadly I found it a bit meh. For me it strays into parody with Chris these days. The band is tight enough but I find the front man a bit embarrassing. He;s always been part Rod, part Mick, part Steven but he was a great singer and a good songwriter. Now I find the coquetting of a grey haired, bearded slightly stiff fella a bit of a turn off. Also wished they had played more from Amorica which was their last decent album imo.

For me Chris disappeared up his own arse and never re-emerged fully whereas his brother held it together much better. I thought I'd be stoked to see Tyler appear for the encore but that was like two old men dad dancing  instead of one. I'm ok with nostalgia and actually thought that the Stones (who are +20 years on the Crowes) pull it off with more authenticity.

Sorry if this comes across a bit curmudgeonly!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3657
    Yep

No Steve, no MFF, no Ed (obvs)....not the same. 

Saw them several times during the first tenure of Marc. Then I saw them with Audley Freed. And they sucked. 

None of these recent vids pull me in. It's pension tour stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Saw the Crowes back in the day. I think at Glasgow Barrowland c1991 maybe. They had Burning Tree as support which was Marc Ford's band. We loved that BT album and it was one of the first I learned to play a lot of the stuff on. I remember having a drink with the band (Burning Tree) at the bar. Out of curiosity I went to the Crowes London gig. Sadly I found it a bit meh. For me it strays into parody with Chris these days. The band is tight enough but I find the front man a bit embarrassing. He;s always been part Rod, part Mick, part Steven but he was a great singer and a good songwriter. Now I find the coquetting of a grey haired, bearded slightly stiff fella a bit of a turn off. Also wished they had played more from Amorica which was their last decent album imo.

For me Chris disappeared up his own arse and never re-emerged fully whereas his brother held it together much better. I thought I'd be stoked to see Tyler appear for the encore but that was like two old men dad dancing  instead of one. I'm ok with nostalgia and actually thought that the Stones (who are +20 years on the Crowes) pull it off with more authenticity.

Sorry if this comes across a bit curmudgeonly!!

I love that Burning Tree album as well. I had a taped copy at Uni, and managed to find a used Cd in a Detroit store when I worked over there after a 3 month search.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Lineups change. I was 7 in 1991 so it's really irrelevant if they were a bit better when they were 25 - what band wasn't?  

All I'm hearing is old guys shouting at clouds tbh... 
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    I was at Hammersmith for the Crowes and it's my first time seeing them, long time fan. I thought they were fantastic. A handful of songs in and who walks past right in front of me? Jimmy Page and Steven Tyler! 'Fuck me it's jimmy Page' absolute bucket list moment for me, I was like a little kid. I could have rubbed his hair he was that close, what did I do? Nothing. But on the way back past me in the 2nd half I saluted them both. Like a complete nerd. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ftumch said:
    I was at Hammersmith for the Crowes and it's my first time seeing them, long time fan. I thought they were fantastic. A handful of songs in and who walks past right in front of me? Jimmy Page and Steven Tyler! 'Fuck me it's jimmy Page' absolute bucket list moment for me, I was like a little kid. I could have rubbed his hair he was that close, what did I do? Nothing. But on the way back past me in the 2nd half I saluted them both. Like a complete nerd. 
    Nice :)

I didn't realise Jimmy was there til I saw the stories after. I'd have made some effort to look for him had I known! 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    What was that really annoying Bryan Adam’s song again? It was never off the bloody radio  =) wasn’t it number one for something like 136 weeks? 
    Deadman said:
    What was that really annoying Bryan Adam’s song again? It was never off the bloody radio  =) wasn’t it number one for something like 136 weeks? 
    Everything I Do. Absolutely incredible song and the solo is the best thing ever payed on a strat. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    ftumch said:
    Nice :)

I didn't realise Jimmy was there til I saw the stories after. I'd have made some effort to look for him had I known! 
    He was an absolute gent,smiling at everyone, making eye contact, Steve Tyler was head down ignoring everyone. I get it, but JP just oozes class.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    Deadman said:
    Everything I Do. Absolutely incredible song and the solo is the best thing ever payed on a strat. 
    That was it lol. Really? I can’t remember but won’t dispute it  =)
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3372
    Deadman said:
    Deadman said:
    Revisit it. Its an incredible song thats aged very well. I love covering it, as I do Angels which falls into same category. 
    Deadman said:
    Deadman said:
    Revisit it. Its an incredible song thats aged very well. I love covering it, as I do Angels which falls into same category. 
    Yep. I love both of them. Massively overplayed in their era, but only because they're damn good ballads.