PRS Hollow Body - How do they sound acoustically

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
edited May 7 in Guitar
I’ve fancied a 335 for a long time, but don’t really want a Gibson. 

Seen a PRS Hollow Body, and wondered how the two compare generally, and also how the PRS sounds acoustically. 

The latter reason being I liked the two guitar teachers I had used to just play them acoustically in lessons. So I suppose I’m asking if they’re good as semi-acoustics (?)

I’m not after a clone of the 335 sound, but more the general area … if that makes sense. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14455
    tFB Trader
    Louder enough to practice with, if no other ‘noise’ going on - I use one on the sofa a lot like that - acoustically a touch louder than say a 335 -  amplified then more cool clean and laid back - more Steely Dan than Metallica
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2701
    I miss mine. Truly a useful guitar in every respect, and comfortable to strap around shoulder. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1989
    edited May 7
    I was under the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that playing electric guitar acoustically was a bad thing insofar as it can mask bad technique. Electrics are more forgiving than an acoustic guitar regarding bad technique but only to a point. Electrics should be amplified. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4189
    I miss mine. Truly a useful guitar in every respect, and comfortable to strap around shoulder. 
    Same, my SE HBii was lush. It’s not like I don’t have some great ES-types already, but that one was a very cool guitar indeed.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3786
    I’ve never tried an SE but the USA one I have sounds great acoustically. It sounds just as good plugged in. Great guitars. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 153
    Devil#20 said:
    I was under the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that playing electric guitar acoustically was a bad thing insofar as it can mask bad technique. Electrics are more forgiving than an acoustic guitar regarding bad technique but only to a point. Electrics should be amplified. 
    Totally depends on how you practice. If you are amplified with overdrive, distortion or other FX then you’re just doing the same thing and potentially masking bad technique. 

If you are in cleanly cleanville when you practice then I guess you could make that argument. 

If it works for you - like me - then you do you. 

Regarding the hollow body volume acoustically - marginally louder than a semi-hollow, but still significantly quieter than an acoustic or Acoustasonic. 

Do yourself a favour and check out the SE Hollowbody II Piezo. Crazy build quality, and quite frankly ridiculous value for money at a good second hand price. Ignore the Made In China hate on this occasion. 

Trading feedback available here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    from what I remember from the ones I owned, the PRS HB sounds better than a 335, but unamplified, both are pointless and dreadful, i.e. less good that a £50 acoustic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    edited May 7
    here's something:

the PRS HB weighs nothing, IIRC same or less than a Steinberger, amazing.

The SE version is much heavier, but still light

website says about 6lb for HB, 7lb for SE
    7lb to nearly 9lb for a 335, up to 10lb for a 355
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72713
    My PRS HBI weighed 4lb 10oz. (Admittedly it had been refinished at least twice, and I think sanded down a bit since the top was incredibly thin.)

It sounded OK acoustically - you could hear enough that your brain could fill in the tone that your ears were just subtly picking up, but it was nothing like as good as even a very cheap proper acoustic.

Remarkably, amplified it sounded surprisingly similar to a normal solidbody PRS. I never quite understood that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    This is all incredibly helpful, I think I might pull the proverbial. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1490
    I’ve fancied a 335 for a long time, but don’t really want a Gibson. 

Seen a PRS Hollow Body, and wondered how the two compare generally, and also how the PRS sounds acoustically. 

The latter reason being I liked the two guitar teachers I had used to just play them acoustically in lessons. So I suppose I’m asking if they’re good as semi-acoustics (?)

I’m not after a clone of the 335 sound, but more the general area … if that makes sense. 
    I know there is a bit of disdain re gibson QC, but I recently got a 2016 335 Memphis, I have had a good look over it and cannot see any QC issues, plays really well, great neck relief and action. I've hardly touched any of the others on my guitar wall since I got it.

If your heart wants a 335..don't be put off by the label.

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    ^ Thanks @nero1701 - Not an anti Gibson thing, just that when I've played a few, I didn't really like them in practice. Big old things, amongst other variables. 

Event basic things like vintage tuners I found a bit annoying - can obviously replace them, but kind of telling as to where my head is at.