Logic Pro 11 and Logic iPad 2 - coming this week!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27395
edited May 14 in Studio & Recording
Free upgrades for existing users. Looks good...

- new bass & keys players similar to the existing auto-drummer feature
- new Stem Splitter, like Fadr/Moises etc. I use Moises loads so this should be great if it works
- ChromaGlow, which is some sort of AI-enabled saturation machine. I don't fully understand how AI fits into that but who doesn't love saturation? 

and no doubt a bunch of other stuff. 

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/05/logic-pro-takes-music-making-to-the-next-level-with-new-ai-features/
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17716
    tFB Trader

I've been enjoying Logic for iPad a lot as a kind of super groovebox. 

I really hope they improve the piano roll as at the moment it's terrible. 

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    I’ve been wanting to try this but unfortunately my iPad’s too old. What’s the cheapest model I’d get away with for running Logic? 
    tFB Trader
    I’ve been wanting to try this but unfortunately my iPad’s too old. What’s the cheapest model I’d get away with for running Logic? 

There are two answers to that question.

I think there are quite a few models that can run Logic, but you need an M class processor to run all the whizzy features which means either: 
    * The current or previous two generations of Pro
    * The current or previous generation of Air

However even on a relatively old iPad you can run Korg Gadget or Drambo and both of them are really fun music making environments (Assuming you want to make something electronic), or you can use Garage Band or Cubase. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4209
    Nice, seems a worthy upgrade, roll on the 13th

I think there are quite a few models that can run Logic, but you need an M class processor to run all the whizzy features which means either: 

However even on a relatively old iPad you can run Korg Gadget or Drambo and both of them are really fun music making environments (Assuming you want to make something electronic), or you can use Garage Band or Cubase. 
    Thanks, I’ve been using GarageBand and been enjoying getting fairly deep into the editing that’s available on it but it has it limits. I’m mainly recording guitar based stuff with some synthy bits here and there. GB is probably fine for my level tbh but I’ve been looking at updating my iPad recently or maybe getting a cheaper MacBook? Either way I’d be looking sub £400 - any more than that would be a waste on me lol. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4676
    I so wish Apple would update the rather dated UI on logic (for Mac)
    Even simple things like full colour coding of the mix channels rather than just a colour strip at the bottom of the fader.
    Then UI is why I mainly use studio one and/or Reaper.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    Really looking forward to this.
    tFB Trader

Thanks, I’ve been using GarageBand and been enjoying getting fairly deep into the editing that’s available on it but it has it limits. I’m mainly recording guitar based stuff with some synthy bits here and there. GB is probably fine for my level tbh but I’ve been looking at updating my iPad recently or maybe getting a cheaper MacBook? Either way I’d be looking sub £400 - any more than that would be a waste on me lol. 

You might be able to get an M1 iPad Air for £400 secondhand. 

For a bit more you could get an M1 Macbook Air which would probably be more powerful at the expense of being less portable and sofa friendly.

You might be able to get an M1 iPad Air for £400 secondhand. 

For a bit more you could get an M1 Macbook Air which would probably be more powerful at the expense of being less portable and sofa friendly.
    Portability isn’t an issue but I do use the touch instruments for some bits - I don’t think they’re on the Mac version of GarageBand are they? 

• HaychHaych Frets: 5736
    Are these updates/new features available to all Logic users or just those running Apple Silicon?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27395
    Haych said:
    Are these updates/new features available to all Logic users or just those running Apple Silicon?

From the bottom of the newsroom link: 
    1. M-series Apple silicon is recommended when using Session Players on iPad.
    2. M-series Apple silicon is required when using Stem Splitter on iPad and Mac.
    3. M-series Apple silicon is recommended when using ChromaGlow on iPad. M-series Apple silicon is required when using ChromaGlow on Mac.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    I'm sure Logic for iPad is useful, but having bought a license for Logic, I'm not about to pay a subscription to have it on a different device.

I wonder if Logic 11 will be a straight replacement for Logic 10 or will I get shafted to pay for another license.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27395
    Gulliver said:
    I'm sure Logic for iPad is useful, but having bought a license for Logic, I'm not about to pay a subscription to have it on a different device.

I wonder if Logic 11 will be a straight replacement for Logic 10 or will I get shafted to pay for another license.

Ahem:

Free upgrades for existing users. Looks good...

- new bass & keys players similar to the existing auto-drummer feature
    - new Stem Splitter, like Fadr/Moises etc. I use Moises loads so this should be great if it works
    - ChromaGlow, which is some sort of AI-enabled saturation machine. I don't fully understand how AI fits into that but who doesn't love saturation? 

and no doubt a bunch of other stuff. 

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/05/logic-pro-takes-music-making-to-the-next-level-with-new-ai-features/

tFB Trader
    I think it's out today right?

Anyone tried yet?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3729
    Got same question re. Logic on M2 mac
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13976
    edited May 13
    I think it's out today right?

Anyone tried yet?
    No update showing yet and the App Store still shows version 10.8.1

tFB Trader
    Out now!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 255
    Be aware that if you have an existing Drummer track, the new version gives you the choice of converting it to midi or updating to the new session version, which sounds totally different.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10359
    edited May 14
    The drummer program is great, I wonder how good the keys and bass programs will be and if they'll actually be good enough for recordings. I've programmed the drummer program for so many tracks and I really do think it's excellent, and because of the AI element there's enough spontaneity to give the illusion of it being real, and most won't notice that it's not.

That being said, it's the drums, it's not the same as the bass so I don't know if it would be more obvious, or if I would feel right not creating my own bass part,  and it's certainly not as crucial potentially as keys. I guess you could argue it's the same as a sequencer but I think the difference is no one thinks someone is playing a fast sequenced arpeggiator whereas this gives the impression you are.

I'd like some kind of real time live projects too, like you can have with Excel and so on. I believe you can do this with Pro Tools already, and have been able to for quite a while. Being able to record live and work on sessions over the internet with other people in real time would be incredible.

I have lots of ethical questions. I wonder if it will mean less need for certain instrument types because there's such a convincing AI version right here and so on. I've definitely not needed drummers, or needed to be in the room with one to write as much as I used to.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3058
    Haych said:

From the bottom of the newsroom link: 
    1. M-series Apple silicon is recommended when using Session Players on iPad.
    2. M-series Apple silicon is required when using Stem Splitter on iPad and Mac.
    3. M-series Apple silicon is recommended when using ChromaGlow on iPad. M-series Apple silicon is required when using ChromaGlow on Mac.
    <sigh> Looks like I have a new Mac in my near future