Alegree Old Timer pickups

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2918
Has anyone tried the Hair Spray model? From the description it sounds like it's a Super Distortion clone - wanted to try one out in my SG for a while and was wondering how close it sounds to the real thing? Or am I better off just getting a used SD?

https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/old-timer-pickups/products/old-timer-glam-humbuckers?variant=44929356595497
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    edited May 8
    Not tried the Hair Spray model but I have tried the Alegree Old Timer Blazer single coil-sized rails pickup. It rocks. 

Personally, I would use the descriptor "lookalike" rather than clone. Powerful, fer sure, but not necessarily the exact same tones and dynamics as a US-made DiMarzio.

My limited experience with SGs and copies has been that very high output humbuckers don't always suit them. IMO, the exceptions that prove this sweeping generalisation are the Gibson Tony Iommi signature humbucker and the Bare Knuckle Pickups HSP90 'Pig 90. (No points for spotting the Sabs theme.

I believe that Ash @OilCityPickups introduced a new model humbucker with multiple magnets earlier this year. I'm too senile to remember the model name.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10818
    edited May 9 tFB Trader
    Not tried the Hair Spray model but I have tried the Alegree Old Timer Blazer single coil-sized rails pickup. It rocks. 

Personally, I would use the descriptor "lookalike" rather than clone. Powerful, fer sure, but not necessarily the exact same tones and dynamics as a US-made DiMarzio.

My limited experience with SGs and copies has been that very high output humbuckers don't always suit them. IMO, the exceptions that prove this sweeping generalisation are the Gibson Tony Iommi signature humbucker and the Bare Knuckle Pickups HSP90 'Pig 90. (No points for spotting the Sabs theme.

I believe that Ash @OilCityPickups introduced a new model humbucker with multiple magnets earlier this year. I'm too senile to remember the model name.
    I.ve done multiple magnet humbuckers for over ten years ... so the senility has a history @Funkfingers :-)

My Transonic and Hel pickups are both multiple magnet, my Neo-X-Breed is 'mixed magnet' ... nowt new around here :-)

I also do a pickup called the Blue Streak that is pretty much an exact version of the famous DiMarzio original ... I have repaired and rewound many of them ... and of course the formula now is different from when the Super Distortion first started and was pretty much hand made by Larry ... mine apes the first incarnation.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2918
    edited May 9
    I've had the BK Pig 90 and alnico Warpig in this SG, both sounded great and I'm now wondering why I got rid of them! Really liked the Warpig, though it was very compressed with all that output it beefed up the bridge position of the SG nicely. Wanted to try the SD in the SG as that combination was used a lot in the early hardcore (Fugazi etc) days and I like a lot of those tones!

I've had the stock pickups back in for a while now but the gritty upper mid "thing" the 498T does is starting to grate on me a bit now and I'd like more chunk, and the 490R just sounds really "plain" for lack of a better description - I'd like to go back to a P90 in the neck. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    I also do a pickup called the Blue Streak  
    I believe that @jaymenon ;may have one of these for sale. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 837
    edited May 9
    I'm keeping this one @Funkfingers ;;;

It just sounds too good

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Left: @OilCityPickups   Blue Streak
    Clean Channel (American Voice)
    BlackStar HT-5 Mk ii 
    Celestion G12-65

Right: Blue Streak same chain except
    also through a J Rockett Dude

This guitar:
    https://i.imgur.com/eysWdj4.jpeg

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10818
    tFB Trader
    Great playing as always Jay ...
    and the flame on your Strat ... WOW ... gorgeous. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1452
    jaymenon said:

Oof, that's pretty @jaymenon - is that an oil finish?
    edited May 9
    Actually, that should be an Oil City thread - done.