NDMD - Ampero 2 Stomp

So I had been thinking of getting the new Ampero 2 Stage. Partly for some of the new software functionality rather than the actual form factor. But Hotone has just released a big software update for the Stomp bringing parity - so it now has stuff like scenes, the latest effects models, and practice drums. And yesterday Guitar Guitar was blowing the stomp out for just under £400 so I decided to give it a go.

I've only had it a couple of hours. The first hour was spent trying to update the firmware and get the device connected to the PC. It's fiddly because the PC/MAC software version you should use is tied to the firmware version. So you have to update the firmware with one version, then update the software to connect. And install the drivers. But once I'd done all that - including learning how to force the firmware update mode - I got going with the Stomp and I'm super impressed. Thankfully many people have struggled through the 2.0 update over the last few weeks so there were plenty of guides for the best way to do it online. 

So onto the device itself...

It feels like a next generation version of the HX Stomp. There's a lovely large bright touchscreen that makes editing a joy, but also features well laid control knobs too. There are so many nice little touches - such as the inclusion of a set of official Celestion IRs that meant getting great amp sounds was really quick and easy. There's a button to lock the whole thing stopping any controls getting nudged. 

The amp models I've tried so far have been excellent. I certainly prefer the 5150 on the Ampero over the one on HX Stomp. It sounds much more real and alive. Lots of harmonic richness as the notes decay. 

I like how there's a global Cab/IR off mode - so you don't need to edit your patches if playing into a real amp/cab. And this is split over both outputs - so you could send a Cab/IR feed to front of house, but turn them off for an output to your onstage cab. The tuner is big and bright. The new drum machine actually sounds good. 

The only negative so far. And I'm evening hunting for this one - is there aren't as many reverb options as the HX Stomp. However there's a good variety within that small selection, including a Strymon-like one called Cloud that sounds rather beautiful. 

The PC/Mac editor is really good. I prefer it over HX Edit already thanks to the use of knobs and lots of helpful text details about the amp and effects models. Some of the amps are new HQ models and feature options such as changing preamp and power amp valves.

USB-C thank God, none of that desperately fragile USB-B nonsense from the HX.

Early days yet, but I think I'll be selling my L6 HX Stomp in the near future. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    I got a used Hotone XTOMP Mini a few weeks ago for a bargain price and think the fx are really good. Because you have to use a phone to change the one at a time selection it isn’t hugely practical so when I saw a b-stock Ampero One for just over a hundred notes I snapped it up. The interface is ok but much better when using the Editor software. I imagine your Stomp 2 must be a real treat. A good time to be a guitarist really. Enjoy! 
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    (Although I do hope presets are better on yours…)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4171
    scarry67 said:
    I got a used Hotone XTOMP Mini a few weeks ago for a bargain price and think the fx are really good. Because you have to use a phone to change the one at a time selection it isn’t hugely practical so when I saw a b-stock Ampero One for just over a hundred notes I snapped it up. The interface is ok but much better when using the Editor software. I imagine your Stomp 2 must be a real treat. A good time to be a guitarist really. Enjoy! 
    It's fab. Just been learning the intricacies of it today. Spent ages baffled because I couldn't find a mode to make the footswitches change scenes. But it turns out scene changes is just something you can add to individual switches. This is great because you can mix and match things like effects bypass, scene toggles, tap tempo etc. without having to make all of them do the same thing like the HX Stomp.

I'm actually being brave and I'm going to use it to play at a church event my wife as invited me to play at on Sunday. So obviously I'm setting up a big 80s U2 style patch for that!

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    How do the delays and modulations compare to the stomp?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4171
    There aren't as many as the HX. But what there are, are really good. And despite the lower number offer options not on the HX. There's a Strymon like big reverb called Cloud. And two particular nice shimmers. Lots of tweakability on effects. 

I also found a power amp block. It has loads of controls including power tube type. And you can then run a preamp block into it. So creating your own amp model - such as a 5150 into KT88s. 

The more I tinker, the more impressed I am.