Parchment is a real bugger to match parts with

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 840
edited May 9 in Making & Modding
Because every manufacturer's shade of parchment is different...

Even white can be dodgy to get right.

The safest colour is black.

in the picture below, I cannot decide for my life, which volume control is the correct colour…

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72949
    Neither are 100% perfect, but the one that's not on the pot is better. The knobs should never be whiter than the pickguard, it just looks wrong..

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14724
    Thick, single-ply white pickguard with 45° edge bevel. :o  Cannot un-see! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 840

to add insult to injury, it is parchment :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 859
    edited May 10
    Is the pickguard from Guitarbuild by any chance? I have one of theirs on a telecaster and it's a bit meh. Their woodwork is ace though!
    jaymenon said:
    to add insult to injury, it is parchment :)
    Well, it will be eventually.

jaymenon said:
    every manufacturer's shade of parchment is different.
    Fender Parchment is white with a tiny amount of pigment in the mixture to simulate the discolouration that comes with years of exposure to daylight.

Factor in that this tinted plastic also discolours over time.

Should "parchment" be considered the colour of the plastic when purchased or the colour that it ends up turning? 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    ICBM said:
    Neither are 100% perfect, but the one that's not on the pot is better. The knobs should never be whiter than the pickguard, it just looks wrong..
    Knobs always start to get a little bit grubby quite quickly anyway which means that while “brighter” knobs do look wrong it’s generally a self correcting problem unless the difference is huge…

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:

Knobs always start to get a little bit grubby quite quickly anyway which means that while “brighter” knobs do look wrong it’s generally a self correcting problem unless the difference is huge…
    Speak for yourself, I prefer to keep my guitars clean :).

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 10
    Get a chain smoker to handle the white plastic parts. They will soon discolour to a very convincing shade of off-white.

THINKS: Are there any Fretboarders in the Arbroath area? They could try curing the plastic along with the haddock.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 797
    I'd say the one on it looks the most like the other controls? 
    A set of parchment covers sorted it…

https://i.imgur.com/PxdEsGb.jpeg
    Yes, that looks right - the knobs and covers slightly darker than the guard is ‘vintage correct’ :).

All it needs is a nicer pickguard now ;).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And what would be a nicer pickguard please @ICBM  ? A 3-ply job?
    jaymenon said:
    And what would be a nicer pickguard please @ICBM  ? A 3-ply job?
    Yes - same colour but 3-ply. Those thick single-ply ones always look very Squier Affinity… as well as a rosewood-board Strat only being right with a 3-ply (or 4-ply pearl or tortoise) guard. It’s in the rules :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom