Who's next?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14598
    timmypix said:
    "guitar music is dead"
    If I recall correctly, that was the reason why Decca declined to sign The Beatles. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 288
    edited May 11
    Prog is often interesting, but it doesn't have to be prog. 

I suppose I'm looking for music that is surprising in a good way, played well,  lyrics (if it has them) better than fourth form poetry, not too formulaic, and isn't made by someone who is mostly interested in having their own brand of cosmetics or earphones. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am bored of my usual playlists.  

• blobbblobb Frets: 3035

Interesting, quite liked that. Heavy, but groovy.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Prog is a terrible term. I hate what most people think of as prog, ELP and all that stuff. But Zappa was progressive, I like progressive music. A good place to look is the ahem, 'Prog' archives website best albums of the year. If you look at the categories they put stuff in you can filter out stuff you do / don't like. e.g. I like RPI (Italian prog) not so much Symphonic prog. There are loads of new albums every year to explore.

I hear lots of people talking about Tom Penaguin at the moment. I've not really explored his albums yet.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7825
    edited May 11
    Dutch Uncles

Have fun counting the timing on here:

Longer session

• carloscarlos Frets: 3471
    topdog91 said:
    carlos said:
    A bad case of winter flu and all the prog rock fans left will be in their graves, I'm afraid.
    How edgy and unkind. Would you honestly say that to the crowd in person and not from behind your keyboard?
    Of course. What are prog rock fans going to do? Hit me with their zimmer frames? Learn to take a joke, friend.
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 364
    carlos said:
    topdog91 said:
    carlos said:
    A bad case of winter flu and all the prog rock fans left will be in their graves, I'm afraid.
    How edgy and unkind. Would you honestly say that to the crowd in person and not from behind your keyboard?
    Of course. What are prog rock fans going to do? Hit me with their zimmer frames? Learn to take a joke, friend.
    Of course you would. I can imagine you at a Steve Hackett gig going hey everyone, bad flu and you'll all die, bwahahaha. Oh, my sides.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • KevSKevS Frets: 494
    edited May 12
    Every Time I am Close to the Hedge,,I am reminded of Peter Gabriel thinking he is a Lawnmower..
    I love Love Late 60's / early 70s Prog..That Prog,it is fun,even if not at times intended to be..Some of the best and also worst Music made because people were allowed to be genuinely creative ..And also silly..Silly is good..
    An Antidote to the bland beige Chart Rock that came later...
    Strangely often by the same bands..I can't stand 80's Genesis..Or Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes...I find it Awful..

Carlos,,your second name isn't Manson by Any chance ?

And Robert Zimmer Frame is very influential..

• FezFez Frets: 537
    I went to see Edgar Broughton last week and in one of his little between song chats he talked about how music didn't just die at the end of the seventies. You do have to look for new music and these days we have great tools to do that courtesy of the interweb.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3623
    carlos said:
    Just wondering after reading the David Gilmore thread...

Given the limited supply of working prog masters of the 70s, who would you all rate as producing interesting, arty electric music in the next generation or two? 

Preferably while they are still a bit underground, and without ticket prices ramped by corporate types who regard themselves as too groovy for golf.

GILMOUR!

Although I'm more of a David Gilmore fan, tbh. And I'm not joking, I really like David Gilmore.

As for prog, I'm so glad it's dead and buried as a genre.
    I much prefer Gilmore to Gilmour.  ;)

If you want instrumental, I'd look at Eivind Aarset, Dan Phelps, The Messthetics, Mike Baggetta. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4335

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 288
    Right. That's a playlist with 271 tracks on it.  My headphones are going to be worn out but it's in a good cause.

I should probably feel bad about misspelling David's surname, but then he probably can't spell mine either, which makes me feel better.

Thanks everyone.  I like each and every one of you in a special and personal way.