I gave up and went digital

What's Hot
Well sort of.

Just over a year ago I started depping with a tribute band playing theatres - some gigs on bass, some on rhythm guitar. The band does not use any backline, and usually monitors via IEMs. Their regular guitar and bass players all use Kempers, but for various reasons that I need not bore you with, I didn't want to go down that route. On bass I use an Origin BassRig 64 and I'm pretty happy with that. On guitar I have had decent success using a Revival Drive Compact (analog amp sim) into a Two Notes Torpedo CAB (cab sim and reverb) but the CAB eats quite a lot of 'board space and needs to be borrowed from my home studio setup. I recently replaced it on my direct-to-PA with a Sonicake IR loader plus a reverb pedal. This was pretty good until I started bringing in a drive pedal, at which point it just sounded all wrong - the word 'arse' springs to mind.

I was browsing Reverb and came across a Strymon Iridium at a decent price. I pulled the trigger, it arrived today, and I am as chuffed as Mr Chuffy from Chuffingham Street, Chuffton. I generally favour a Vox-type amp so I selected Chime and Cab A, and there it is - that detailed edge-of-breakup sound that particularly favours a Strat or Tele.

Of course where it really counts is live, and I won't get a chance to gig it for another 4 months. However I do have an all-IEMs rehearsal with another band next week, so I plan to make up a mini board with the Iridium at the end of it. Wish me luck!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments