Any benefit of a SD-1w over an SD-1….

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4285
in FX
….. if I’m only using it to boost and tighten up an already crunchy Marshall sound? Are they better made/quieter/??

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1176
    IMO no. I opted for the standard SD1 for £30 just recently. That's a whole lot of money I saved myself by not going Waza. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    They have an additional mode with slightly more level, gain and bass and they use better components so should have a lower noise floor. 

I have one it's great, but then so is the regular SD-1
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    I've never tried the Waza, but if you are willing to spend a bit more, the MXR Super Badass OD is basically an SD1 with a few more options for tweaking the tone. Full disclosure, I got mine cheap(ish) on Thomann and had to send it back because (according to them) it was shorting out, but it's working fine now (touch wood). And it's fair to say that I probably dial it in to sound more or less identical to an SD1. So yeah. I'm not sure if that's a recommendation or not.  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    Until recently the SD-1 had an annoying issue with a small amount of buzzy distortion leaking through into the bypass sound, but the standard model has now had this cured - the Waza never had it. It's only an issue if you set the pedal with a fair amount of gain (above about halfway) and use a clean sound on the amp anyway - if you're using it as a boost into a dirty amp you won't hear it.

How to tell them apart (if it matters) - https://stinkfoot.se/archives/7458

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6893
    Love the SD-1 but fancy the MXR Badass OD because being able to dial a smidge more bass in would be ace. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    Love the SD-1 but fancy the MXR Badass OD because being able to dial a smidge more bass in would be ace. 
    Yeah there definitely is an element of "I know I'm dialling it in more or less exactly like an SD1, but at least I know I'm choosing to do that!" with mine. There is a fair bit more versatility with it (I think it goes a little cleaner at minimum gain too, for example), whether you actually need it or not!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4285
    Thanks for the comments folks. Looks like a bog standard one will do the trick for what I want. Not seeing any out there for £30 though....you must have got lucky @LionAquaLooper !
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1176
    Lewy said:
    Thanks for the comments folks. Looks like a bog standard one will do the trick for what I want. Not seeing any out there for £30 though....you must have got lucky @LionAquaLooper !
    Yea i suppose I did. Bought one from another TFB member here just last week who happened to live not far from me. It's one of the newer surface mount ones (ie cant be modded) and the backplate's been replaced so most likely why it went so cheap! =) 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    soma1975 said:
    Yeah there definitely is an element of "I know I'm dialling it in more or less exactly like an SD1, but at least I know I'm choosing to do that!" with mine. There is a fair bit more versatility with it (I think it goes a little cleaner at minimum gain too, for example), whether you actually need it or not!

I'd say it's a more isn't better.

I had one and it's very good but I still prefer the SD-1

It's like when you get a 6 knob phaser and you spend 3 hours making it sound almost but not quite like a phase 90
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5035
    The custom mode on the waza has more bass available, and to my ears sound
     better. I had a waza, an old modded basic, two mxr zall wyldes and the does it doom bower power. 
    I do have the badass OD as well but i think that sound a bit more TS-like
    Dave_Mc said:
    soma1975 said:

I'd say it's a more isn't better.

I had one and it's very good but I still prefer the SD-1

It's like when you get a 6 knob phaser and you spend 3 hours making it sound almost but not quite like a phase 90
    LOL Yeah I know what you mean. To be fair, though, I had the SD1 right beside it and I thought I had it dialled in to sound exactly the same, at least for the way I usually use it (as a boost, basically). While also having a fair bit more leeway for some other sounds- having the ability to go slightly cleaner was nice to make it not just as nasal a boost. I'm also not super-keen on the buffers in a lot of the Boss pedals... I'm not anti-buffer, but I am anti-middling buffer!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    The extra bass on the Waza is not always needed. The SD-1 and a TS for that matter are all about pushing the amp but also removing flub.

I did have a Waza and I almost always used it in the standard mode. Then I sold it and went back to a TS!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6893
    My amp is set up with minimal bass because I usually run it with a fuzz face and don't want it to fart out, so when using other drive pedals a bit of bass really helps to get it back to 'normal' levels of lower fequency.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.