NGD PRS Special Semi Hollow

What's Hot
NickBNickB Frets: 266
edited May 12 in Guitar
I had an epiphany after I bought my DGT SE Gold Top. PRS guitars are actually rather good…which got me thinking as I wanted a gear de clutter. Off I went to Coda with 4 guitars, an amp and 6 pedals. My collection was starting to impact home life. I parted with my first Strat, a 1988 Dakota Red which I had owned since new and hadn’t really been played for the last 10 years (time for someone else to enjoy her). Anyhow after having a schwang through a Two Rock and a lot of laughs with the gents in Coda I came away with this. Could it be the ultimate do it all guitar? 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53715257614_8bb8cd9766_k.jpg

Ps DGT SE Gold Top might be up for sale shortly….. 
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1491
    That's a rather lovely finish!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3800
    Very nice!

I saw your comment on the buying for no good reason thread and relate to the querying why part. I’ve tried the one guitar to rule them all and failed horribly. Hope this is the one for you though!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3287
    It’s a beauty Nick…I’m yet to try a PRS and am always a little fearful that when I do everything else changes! :)

So what did you move on (other than the strat)? It must have felt worth it but that’s a lot of gaps for one guitar to fill. 
  • NickBNickB Frets: 266
    nero1701 said:
    That's a rather lovely finish!

Yeah it's vey nice in the flesh too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1327
    Nice score ;) Orange tiger? Had a cu22 in the same finish and it looked rather stunning, better than some 10 tops I've seen. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72742
    Very nice. I'm not sure if it's the ultimate 'one guitar to rule them all', but it's certainly a very versatile one that can cover a lot of ground. They *are* expensive, but if it means you don't 'need' half a dozen other guitars, perhaps less so...

I was thinking about one too, but I don't play guitar that much any more and to be honest it's not *that* different from my Swamp Ash Special.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 12
    Very nice!

I saw your comment on the buying for no good reason thread and relate to the querying why part. I’ve tried the one guitar to rule them all and failed horribly. Hope this is the one for you though!
    Thank you. I hope so too. So far so good. The litmus test will be at a gig..
    edited May 12
    It’s a beauty Nick…I’m yet to try a PRS and am always a little fearful that when I do everything else changes!

So what did you move on (other than the strat)? It must have felt worth it but that’s a lot of gaps for one guitar to fill. 
    Thank you. I p/ex ed a Road Worn Tele, Jazzmaster, and a Reverend Greg Koch. All great guitars but sat in the rack and gathered dust....

I think once you've tried a PRS you might not look back....
    KrisGee said:
    Nice score ;) Orange tiger? Had a cu22 in the same finish and it looked rather stunning, better than some 10 tops I've seen. 

I think that's why I went for it as it has a bit of the 10 top look but not too bling...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9451
    There are many PRS that are “do it all”. This and the modern eagle v get the closest in my view
    Lovely looking that
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996
    Looks stunning. I love HSH guitars & I bet that middle pickup on its own sounds great!
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    NickB said:
    I had an epiphany after I bought my DGT SE Gold Top. PRS guitars are actually rather good…
    I’ve come around to this thinking too. I’ve been on the lookout for a well played example, which I’ve finally found. 

I think there’s enough around now that they don’t quite have so much of a “bling” element. 

Did find a well played Hollowbody, which I’m about to buy. 

Quite exciting to be honest. I think the SE stuff they’re doing oddly actually helps lift the brand, as PRS is seen as a much more relatable brand. Not that I know much about such things though!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14468
    tFB Trader
    There are nice guitars and there are some very nice guitars - I know which that is
    duotone said:
    Looks stunning. I love HSH guitars & I bet that middle pickup on its own sounds great!
    In order to access the middle PUP I'm going to have to mod it as you can't have it on it's own. Only in positions 2 and 4 on the PUP selector switch.  
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 369
    I have something similar and I’ll never sell it, it can do just about anything and everything from Strat sounds to full on LP (IMHO) . Plug it into a Bartel to complete the package. 
    edited May 12
    icu81b4 said:
    I have something similar and I’ll never sell it, it can do just about anything and everything from Strat sounds to full on LP (IMHO) . Plug it into a Bartel to complete the package. 
    Christ. If I did that I think I would be for the high jump
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14468
    tFB Trader
    icu81b4 said:
    Appreciate each to their own and I can see where you’re coming from - But for me 2+4 would the 2 options I’d need from the middle pick up
    icu81b4 said:
    Christ. If I did that it would mean I would have to live in the shipping box it came in. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom