I Don’t Have a Thing to Wear ……

What's Hot
ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 562
Performance related, I guess. 

I have a long held belief that bands should dress up to play live.  Not like wearing a chicken costume or anything, but just make an effort.  I hate seeing bands play in the same T-shirt and cargo shorts they loaded in wearing.  The audience have made an effort to come to the gig, so the band should make an effort,  

How does everyone else feel?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3281
    Absolutely! They don’t call it rock’n’roll for nothing. The outfit should be part of the persona. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1283
    I’d rather bands made an effort to rehearse and learn the songs than spend time dressing up…..far too many seem to spend more effort on their image than their sound.

For my part I never play in what I wear to load in and soundcheck, even if it’s just a change of T-shirt sometimes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27284
    Fully agree.

If you’re there as entertainment you should look like you give a shit. (And if you’re not entertainment you should go home…)

People have expectations in terms of correlation between a band’s sound and look (often described as hearing with your eyes) and imo it’s good to play up to that at least a little bit. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8776
    … bands should dress up to play live…
    … you should look like you give a shit …
    Fully agree with both of these. 

Rowby1 said:
    I’d rather bands made an effort to rehearse and learn the songs than spend time dressing up…..far too many seem to spend more effort on their image than their sound …
    Looking the part should be an adjunct to performance, not a distraction from it
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4141
    I feel bands should look like the songs they're singing too give proper credibility tothe show.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    A couple of my jackets that I wear regularly

And sometimes you just have to go full-on Stephen Mulhern

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682

If you’re there as entertainment you should look like you give a shit. (And if you’re not entertainment you should go home…)

Absolutely.  If you get on a stage then you are an entertainer and it may be that you happen to play a musical instrument.

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1036
    I tend to instantly know I’ll hate a band if I walk in and see some tit in a sparkly waistcoat. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7219
    Strongly disagree. It’s entirely about context for me; if you’re daft punk playing the pyramid then absolutely… but if you’re Joe Shit and the Knobheads playing the local Wetherspoons on a Wednesday evening and you’re wearing a cape, then you look a meat-pipe whichever way you look at it. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3322
    Strongly disagree. It’s entirely about context for me; if you’re daft punk playing the pyramid then absolutely… 
    Dunno...they always look like a couple of helmets to me ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28753
    T-shirt and combats would be an appropriate look for a lot of good bands. As Gav says, context is important. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2325
    In my view you can never be overdressed for the stage.
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 248
    If you’ve ever done a 4 week tour in a small van, dressing up is generally the last thing on your mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I def agree with Gav that context is everything.

If you’re playing grunge in a pub then the #1 goal is not to just look like every other plebs in there for the evening. In that case plaid shirt & boots is probably better than spangles and a feather boa. 

And equally if you’re playing Motown & disco then that getup will have you looking a bit odd. 

But what’s most important (after actually playing well - obviously) is looking cohesive as a unit. Which doesn’t mean dressing up but just coordinating at least enough so you look like you’re all in the same band 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 745
    Not really. I mean Bruce Springsteen did alright in jeans and t-shirt.

Maybe different for a wedding band or whatever. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9896
    I think it's the kind of adage where you dress for the gigs you want in a sense - as others have said some well known artists make quite simple style work for them by being blooming cool, others create a kind of world of their own by dressing in a certain way. I think it's a case of dressing in what makes you feel confident to entertain, not just what you're comfortable in. 

Somebody else mentioned something like "not looking like the others in the room" and I'd definitely agree with that (unless you're a band in a genre that's kind of intrinsically linked to a certain clothing style - thinking of like grunge or emo or punk etc). Not quite the same but that's the kind of basis I run with for my wedding piano gigs - I look like "the musician" but still smart enough to fit in. Context is everything as others have said. 

I think if you're happy playing the t-shirt and cargo shorts type gigs then all power to you, if you want something else then you might need to dress accordingly
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Kurtis said:

No he didn’t. He wore that stuff in the 80s after he’d been famous for a decade. Before that it was a very carefully orchestrated whole-band persona. 

And you can’t tell me this wasn’t discussed in advance…. 

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 745
    edited May 12
    Kurtis said:

No he didn’t. He wore that stuff in the 80s after he’d been famous for a decade. Before that it was a very carefully orchestrated whole-band persona. 

And you can’t tell me this wasn’t discussed in advance…. 

OK, jeans and a shirt then  :)

I bet Bruce wasn't wearing anything like the white suit and hat? 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    edited May 12
    I agree bands should make an effort, likewise Crew should wear something which makes them stand out. At the end of the day it’s all advertising, doesn’t matter how good a band is if you can’t identify them quickly
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Keefy said:
    In my view you can never be overdressed for the stage.
    I put that notion to the test last Xmas...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom