SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NEED TO…Relic a Fender ashtray Tele cover

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
edited May 15 in Parts £
I have now purchased a new chrome cover.
A relic job is planned, but I need advice on how to do this to suit my reliced tele.
ta
jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
    @JonHosker ;I have ready reliced one here Id let go…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• koss59koss59 Frets: 860
    JonHosker said:
    A relic job is planned, but I need advice on how to do this to suit my reliced tele.
    ta
    jon
    Just worth bearing in mind that they don’t tend to age being chrome and not used that much.
    I’ve had several mid 60s and they all look like new. 
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Thanks for the offer Paul.
    i’ve had to send my new one back as it just fell off - not clipping on to the tray??!!
    Don’t know which to buy - happy to try yours.
    let me know details- ta
    jon
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    A bath of mild acid would get things started.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2578
    paulnb57 said:
    @JonHosker ;I have ready reliced one here Id let go…

I'd get this one off Paul. Aging chrome is a nightmare. Can go green if you are not careful.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    JonHosker said:
    Thanks for the offer Paul.
    i’ve had to send my new one back as it just fell off - not clipping on to the tray??!!
    Don’t know which to buy - happy to try yours.
    let me know details- ta
    jon
    You often need to squeeze the sides inwards to get a good grip. (apologies if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul111spaul111s Frets: 121
    koss59 said:
    JonHosker said:
    ta
    jon
    Just worth bearing in mind that they don’t tend to age being chrome and not used that much.
    I’ve had several mid 60s and they all look like new. 
    Agreed, had a 1970 Tele with one and it looked new bar a few pin size scratches on the top. I’d just pop it in a bag full of screws and shake. That’ll make a few lightly aged scratches on the top of it, wouldn’t go too mad.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    When I was building my 50s tele I built a tumbler machine out of lego. Then put the parts in a tin with some screws and stones and let it run for an hour or so. I then used etching solution on the areas I wanted it to look more worn. Seemed to work well on chrome as well as nickel for me. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    t1000 said:
    When I was building my 50s tele I built a tumbler machine out of lego. Then put the parts in a tin with some screws and stones and let it run for an hour or so. I then used etching solution on the areas I wanted it to look more worn. Seemed to work well on chrome as well as nickel for me. 
    @t1000 .. oh, a Lego tumbling machine.. that's awesome. Do you have any piccies of it?  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 100
    t1000 said:
    ;)
    https://i.imgur.com/67qh2kV.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    equalsql said:
    t1000 said:
    @t1000 .. oh, a Lego tumbling machine.. that's awesome. Do you have any piccies of it?  :)
    I thought I had but I never took a picture. It wasn't as sexy as it sounds! Basically a frame with four wheels either side and the tin sat between the wheels and I attached my drill to power it.