Danny did I imagine this?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7594
edited May 12 in Amps
Paging @Danny1969  - I thought I recalled you posting in a thread that you had been pondering a mod to Tone Master amps that would tap in to existing features/connections of the module they use that would add a power amp in (or a loop or other features) 

I've not been able to find it - was I imagining or misremembering? 

I did find the thread where you showed your prototype of something that uses a Nux and an Icepower module - am I getting confused with that? 

Cheers! 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10480
    Yes I did mention that. 

Basically the Tonemaster uses the same power supply and power amp module used in all kinds of stuff like sub woofers and active monitors. So it's a clean uncoloured module that's idea for modellers. 

The audio input to that module is on a standard JST connector and fed directly from the Tonemasters DSP board. My idea is a small PCB board containing a switched jack socket (like all serial effects loops) with the same JST connector on the input and the output already wired with the same cable 

The customer could then drill a single jack sized hole in the chassis, that would support the small PCB. Then move the connector from the power amp board to the input of the mod PCB, then put the output cable of the mod PCB onto the power amp board. 

Then inserting a jack in that socket would bypass the Fender DSP board and go straight to the power amp. 

That's the basic  idea. Adding bluetooth for streaming audio to jam  and a transformer differential DI output would only add about £15 so could be an option as well. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    Danny, This sounds like a great idea for a Tonemaster modification.

I like the thought of having the option of using the TMDR as a powered cab, without removing the facility to switch back to normal use. 

If you decide to go ahead, I'm in the queue. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4317
    Makes sense to me. You could have all sorts, it might be quite fun in a history repeating way to make a pre that sounded like a Mk. I Boogie and stick it in the TM Princeton :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7594
    edited May 13
    I think it sounds brilliant. 

I'd need to get someone to do the drilling for me as I'm a hack.

Check of understanding: the potential for explosions and dead amp is minimal as other than the chassis drilling, it's just push-fit connectors? 

*Edit* it was the Tonex One thread that prompted this thought 
    Red ones are better.