Boss DM-101 First Impressions

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
edited May 13 in FX
Bloody lovely isn't it? Makes my other pedals sound like hobo delays. 

I thought I was getting close with some dirty settings on my El Cap but some back and forth and it wasn't the same (not knocking the el cap - it's got its own thing going on especially with swells and the reverb in the mix).

Adriatic delay in my HX FX could get in the same ballpark too but, as is always the case with the HX, if you engage the analogy bypass you start to hear what the ad/da is covering up - especially with an offset and all that top end clarity. 

What's it missing? Well, spillover, but I think that's a limit of the technology rather than a missing feature. An infinite repeat/hold function for one of the foot switches is definitely something I'd have loved, and the ability to filter top and bottom end to get further into tape territory. But that's asking a lot!

I really love that it's simple. No menu or secondary features. Looks lovely and feels expensive in that way that proper gear does even though it's 'just' a Boss. Not going anywhere. Shocked it's not talked about more - searching the forum mainly brought up FS threads. Hard to please, you Fretboarders. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    edited May 13
    There is a thread on it somewhere on here! Literally using mine just now for some practice (using the board below, direct to my studio monitors), with the Modern setting for a bright slap-back.

Yes, tone controls would be great, but not important enough for me to spring for a Suhr Discovery. It does have spillover (or 'CARRYOVER') when switching to bypass (see p.24 of manual) but not when changing patches. I recommend a MIDI pedal to make full use of the memory slots.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Original discussion thread here - plenty of opinions as per usual!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    Keefy said:
    Original discussion thread here - plenty of opinions as per usual!
    Yeah I read through it. Quite a lot of talk about the DOD Rubberneck!!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17758
    tFB Trader
    It's veeery expensive so I imagine just not that many people have one. 

I'd have one, but I can't justify the cost really.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776

Used they're quite reasonable. I got mine for £250 delivered second hand from Fair Deal Music. That's less than Volantes go for second hand I think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I couldn't help myself and paid full whack when it came out. No regrets, plus the cost was somewhat offset by the fact that I then sold 3 of my existing delay pedals as I realised I no longer needed them.