N(ish)GD

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 672
Picked up this used Eastman ACTG1 the other month. Immaculate condition, all solid woods, lovely feel and surprisingly strong tone and bass response considering its size. There’s obviously comparisons with other notable guitars of this size, but this is just a brilliant guitar in its own right. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 775
    edited May 15
    Thanks for great pics. Sorry to be lazy and not look it up but what size is it etc? And would you be happy to share age and price? Love the binding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 672
    DavidR said:
    Thanks for great pics. Sorry to be lazy and not look it up but what size is it etc? And would you be happy to share age and price? Love the binding.
    Yep, terribly lazy… in the time it took to type your post, you’d have your answer :wink: but I’ll indulge :smile: so…
    • Fingerboard Radius:12"
    • Neck Profile:Traditional Even "C"
    • Nut: Bone 1 11/16"
    • Scale Length: 23.5"
    • Body Dimensions: 14 3/8" x 3 13/16"
    Not sure exactly how this compares to say the GS Mini or equivalent guitars but it’s of that size to give an idea. 

I don’t know the age, I’d hazard a guess at a year or two at least? Probably a fair about of time hung up in a shop, a couple of owners that realised wasn’t for them after a time and being listed on the usual places for a while. I’ll have to check the serial number for a definitive answer though so could probably be wide of the mark here. 

Regarding the price, new I’ve seen between £399 and £485. I paid £320 and it was only a 10min drive to pick it up, as new condition and yep, the binding is a lovely touch indeed. On initial look, it appears quite a bland guitar aesthetically, but there are a few nice details indeed. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27399
    Awesome. I played a bunch of Eastmans the last couple of days and honestly most of them would embarrass a lot of guitars costing 3-4x the price. 

My favourite was a J45-alike with a red french polish finish. Absolutely incredible thing for about 1400, but the ones in the 700-850 range were brilliant too
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4203
    Great choice, they're really nice players!

@stickyfiddle - yup, I' got the tobacco burst version of that a few years ago (still with 'hog back & sides) and it utterly killed my GAS for a 'fancier' acoustic. I'm sure Atkin et al are worth the extra, but my Eastman serves my needs and then some. Their French polish models really are particularly spectacular though, the finish feels wonderful and I'll be aiming to replicate that approach on my future builds as a result of trying theirs. :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27399
    Great choice, they're really nice players!

@stickyfiddle - yup, I' got the tobacco burst version of that a few years ago (still with 'hog back & sides) and it utterly killed my GAS for a 'fancier' acoustic. I'm sure Atkin et al are worth the extra, but my Eastman serves my needs and then some. Their French polish models really are particularly spectacular though, the finish feels wonderful and I'll be aiming to replicate that approach on my future builds as a result of trying theirs. :)
    Yeah it's ace isn't it? The only thing that properly beat it so far in an Atkin for 2.5x the price. Which honestly I probably would have bought if it had been black instead of natural :D 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    @stickyfiddle and @guitargeek62 ;

Thanks guys. I used to own a T486 which was a really great guitar and I’ve played a number of their archtops etc, so I kinda knew the score with what to expect but this has really impressed me. 

I’d been after a small bodied acoustic for a while, tried numerous GS minis over the years, Cort Little CJ, LAG travel guitar. All great guitars and obviously, in the case of Taylor, very consistent QC wise from guitar to guitar. I’ve probably got lucky, but this feels a cut above in terms of quality. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 243
    Nice job. I was going to whinge about the narrow nut (1 11/16" - a smidgen under 43mm) but then I saw the price! 
    That looks a great buy and yes the binding is nice. At that price I'd consider a pencil sharpener for my fingers!
     =) 

Soupman said:
    Nice job. I was going to whinge about the narrow nut (1 11/16" - a smidgen under 43mm) but then I saw the price! 
    That looks a great buy and yes the binding is nice. At that price I'd consider a pencil sharpener for my fingers!
     =) 

I can fully appreciate the 1 11/16” nut not being to everyone’s taste, particularly on an acoustic. But keep that pencil sharpener close if you ever see one for a great price :smile: