Collectible Behringer Pedals?

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3110
in FX
I’ve noticed recently that some discontinued plastic Behringer pedals are starting to fetch decent money on the s/h market, sometimes selling for more than the pedals they are clones of.  Things like the pitch shifter, Power Overdrive and Ultra fuzz seem kinda expensive for what are budget plastic clones.

So is this a ‘thing’ now? did I miss an episode of the JHS YouTube channel?  I know everything is going up in price but this seems like it’s being driven by something beyond just inflation.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1204
    I'm not a snob, but surely not?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72793
    Anything that's discontinued is automatically worth more - it's in the rules.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3110
    Just seems a bit odd that people are paying over a hundred quid for a plastic copy of a pedal when you can get the original (usually Boss) for cheaper than that. Maybe I’m just out of touch or I’m unaware of the reasons behind why that’s happening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12115
    The orange fuzz one is good - you can buy that everywhere.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 428
    Surely that says more about how ridiculous the guitar gear market is than the value of their products?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3110
    The orange fuzz one is good - you can buy that everywhere.
    Yeah, I got one of those when they were 17 quid for a new one. Maybe that skewed my perspective that they were all pretty cheap. That’s a fun pedal though for sure and well worth the meagre outlay.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4223
    I think the equivalent one of the Boss Dimension C is highly desirable 

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1177
    I have a few Behringers and these 4 are now discontinued and have at least doubled in price because they're hard to find used now

BO300
    OD400
    Echo Machine
    Reverb Machine
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1486
    TBF, the Echo Machine is the Line 6 Echo park but improved, apparently, so I can sort of see that.

Last year I sold a Reverb Machine and an Ultra Fuzz for what I paid, no more. So relative bargains are out there.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 551
    GoFish said:
    TBF, the Echo Machine is the Line 6 Echo park but improved

This is good to know. I used to have Echo Park and really liked its sounds and options, but it almost doubled the weight of my board and I didn't like the switch, so I got rid of it.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1177
    edited May 15
    I liked the Echo Machine so much that when my first one broke (one of the input or output jacks stopped working), I bought another one immediately when they were still £30.  Then I realised the first one wasn't broken at all.  Luckily I didn't bin it!  

I recommend buying an SF300 now while they're still £30, even if you don't like fuzz.  That pedal is highly rated and will most likely be discontinued as well at some point.  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6124
    The Echo Machine is a cool pedal but the lack of notches on the selector pot is a pain. Personal faves are the couple of mxr style metal boxes they put out - a 2 stage phaser and an excellent sounding compressor.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    "Ooo oo Mr Peavely" I must check my cupboard full of budget pedals for 'gold' :0)  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9932
    JezWynd said:
    The Echo Machine is a cool pedal but the lack of notches on the selector pot is a pain. Personal faves are the couple of mxr style metal boxes they put out - a 2 stage phaser and an excellent sounding compressor.
    Their metal box Big Muff (Vintage Distortion, VD fnar fnar) and Memory Man (Vintage Time Machine) were also quite good, albeit basically because they were the same as what they were ripping off
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Probs driven by all the Behringer memes on pedal Facebook groups. 

Pedalboards of Doom 
    Pedalboards of Actual Dickheads
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7503
    Discontinued = worth more if it's a recognisable brand. I'm waiting for people to twig a couple of super cheap discontinued pedals I've got so I can make some money...

Same happens to Boss pedals. I wanted the adaptive distortion but missed it. Now it's doubled in price, and often listed as "rare" lol 
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 261
    Discontinued = worth more if it's a recognisable brand. I'm waiting for people to twig a couple of super cheap discontinued pedals I've got so I can make some money...

Same happens to Boss pedals. I wanted the adaptive distortion but missed it. Now it's doubled in price, and often listed as "rare" lol 
    Boss pedals regularly only become cult when a famous band talks about using a discontinued pedal. I’ve owned a lot of the early MIJ models & apart from the obvious big hits + a few surprises, most would only be worth keeping as part of a collection.

the Behringer thing makes sense for the circuits that are more than clones, otherwise when you start paying £50+, plenty of 2nd hand clones from small boutique builders become an option. 

Maybe people collect Behringer pedals like Boss? I have a couple of the vintage style pedals of theirs: the original bi-phase & an octave divider. They’re just decorations though. I do want the new-ish spring reverberation unit for my little home studio.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    On the strength of this thread I’ve just ordered an sf300, £22 from Amazon. Can’t go wrong at that price surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 261
    edited May 16
    nick79 said:
    On the strength of this thread I’ve just ordered an sf300, £22 from Amazon. Can’t go wrong at that price surely?
    Good choice. If you want the sounds it makes, I’m reliably informed it’s as good as the original boss pedal. I love it for overdubs as it’s got two gnarly vintage sounds & the boost is a great drive in its own right.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    I’ve never really played with fuzz too much, and when I have it’s just been whatever is in the Helix. So this will be an education regardless. Gnarly is good though, I like gnarly.