Which router cutter?

What's Hot
rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 846
edited May 15 in Making & Modding
I’m planning to butcher my PRS SE Silver Sky in order to fit a full sized bridge Humbucker. I’ve tried a hot rails and it just doesn’t cut it for me. 
I already have a HSS pick guard a router and a stock cutter for roughing out  but I need a cutter to finish the slot accurately and do the extra bits for the pickup leg slots. I need a cutter with a bearing on it so I can maybe use the pick guard as the template I will probably finish the leg slots by eye.
What size and spec cutter would you guys recommend and where do i source them?
Thanks…..
I don’t suppose a template to cut one out for the SS exists yet does it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 259
    B&Q would be my first port of call.  Generally try to get as small radius cutter as possible so you can get the corner radii as sharp as possible.  Otherwise you will need to finish the corners with a chisel too.  The bearings should be included when you buy as they need to be a precise fit.  Your choice mainly comes down to 6.35mm or bigger.  I use 6.35mm simply because they fit my routers without needing to change collets.

However I prefer to get maybe 2-3 bearings and stack them, it provides more contact surface during the depth plunging.  Template wise, there are hobbyists who offer to make them from CNC cut plexiglass because if you slip, then you don't need to replace the piickguard. 

[This space for rent]

• WezVWezV Frets: 16916
    https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Template_Trim_279.html

Go for one of the short ones.

Always use a template.  The guard won't be thick enough for this but you can use it to mark out a piece if suitable template material. A normal humbucker template should be fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    edited May 16
    Another vote for Wealden - really good quality.

And for getting or making a template. I think Simo here does them in laser cut acrylic. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    Sporky said:

And for getting or making a template. I think Simo here does them in laser cut acrylic. 
    He does indeed:

https://reverb.com/uk/shop/simnett-guitars
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 846
    edited May 16
    WezV said:

Always use a template.  The guard won't be thick enough for this but you can use it to mark out a piece if suitable template material. A normal humbucker template should be fine
    Isn’t a 9.5mm diameter a wee bit big Wez?
    When you say go for one of the short ones, how short? I’m assuming I need to cut roughly 20-25 mm deep in places? I don’t have the body with me at the moment so it’s all from memory :) 
    Sporky said:

He does indeed:

https://reverb.com/uk/shop/simnett-guitars
    Excellent! I’ll be ordering the Humbucker jobbers then! Double sided tape I presume?
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    @rockmonster aye, or two bits of normal masking tape with a dab of superglue between them if you’ve not got any double-sided stuffs
    Ordered the templates just need to clarify which cutter size?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16916
    edited May 17
    WezV said:

Isn’t a 9.5mm diameter a wee bit big Wez?
    When you say go for one of the short ones, how short? I’m assuming I need to cut roughly 20-25 mm deep in places? I don’t have the body with me at the moment so it’s all from memory  
    Nope.  I do most of my pickup routes with a 12.7mm bit.   If you are worried the corners won't be tight enough, drill them first, but it often isn't needed.   It's much better to cut the cavity with a wider bit than try and do it all with a small one... or buy both, but for one i wouldn't

As for length... you are not planning to cut it in one pass are you?  You need to do multiple if using handheld router.  A short bit will allow a nice shallow first pass which makes it much easier to use the template.

I like the 12.7x8mm

I'd also avoid long leg humbuckers on this style of guitar if you can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 17
    Ossum thanks Wez and no one pass would be just asking for trouble! Lol! and short legs all the way!