Tell me about Big Muffs

What's Hot

Comments

• 26.226.2 Frets: 536
    edited May 17
    I always keep one around but isn’t really a core part of my sound. You can go down a rabbit hole looking for originals, clones, tweaked versions but I reckon the current EHX minis are about as good as it gets. Small, inexpensive and sound great! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 181
    Never had a Big Muff proper, but love the Ibanez 850 Fuzz Mini, which I believe is a Rams Head variant with a different tone stack. It has mids and a useful tone knob, but can still do the crazy sustain and great lead tone. Doesn’t really do the scooped boom of doom, which is fine by me.

I bought it just out of curiosity thinking I probably wanted a Rat, but it’s nailed to my board now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31039
    If you want a really cool muff sound for not much money, the Custom Pedal Boards Muff 1 is outstanding.

As is the Boss Digital Metalizer (Gilmour 80s in a box!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 407
    edited May 17
    Big muff Pi, football pitch sized, was one of my first pedals. When things go right (ie whatever else is in the chain agrees with it) they sound pretty damn good. Recently bought a nano just because of board real estate issues. I have found the muff to be a bit finicky in terms of what you can stick either in front or after it. It will be an impedance matching thing I'm sure but some experimentation is required. For a similar wall-of-sound also try a Boss HM-2 with a TC Spark boost in front of it.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 786
    Gassage said:
    If you want a really cool muff sound for not much money, the Custom Pedal Boards Muff 1 is outstanding.

As is the Boss Digital Metalizer (Gilmour 80s in a box!)
    The behringer VD(!) is really good too. Maybe one of the the best I've heard.
    With the gain right down mine did a really nice "torn speaker" sound. Very...errr...vintage distortion sounding.

I've not tried many at all but I did build a clone that I have tried lots of different parts on. Not used it for a bit, not sure which it is closest to now. Think I had germanium diodes for a smooth vintage tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 409
    I like big muffs so much that I have a tattoo of one…
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16246
    Hmmm
    They are very 70's hirsute
    I think a Brazillian or a Bald Badger is far more attractive
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7233
    Dominic said:
    Hmmm
    They are very 70's hirsute
    I think a Brazillian or a Bald Badger is far more attractive
    Freudian paedo 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • denz32denz32 Frets: 15
    My first ever pedal was a Big Muff Pi with tone wicker. I had a Fender Twin (which was already way too loud for my bedroom at my parent’s house).

I cranked the volume and sustain on the pedal and plugged it in. I assumed that the volume knob on the Muff needed to be at 100% to be at unity with my amp (don’t ask me why, I was not a smart kid). 

Well, I hit a power chord and I’ll never forget the level of noise. It was absolutely deafening. My bedroom windows were actually shaking. My parents immediately started screaming at me to turn it down from downstairs. The neighbour’s dog started going nuts up the road. 

It scared the crap out of me (and everyone else) but oh man, what an incredible racket. It felt like detonating an explosive. 
    7reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 364
    Even better than a big muff, I've had quite a bit of fun with a wizard's sleeve...
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    My Muff is a homemade EHX Little Big Muff. I got the schematic from here:

Don't know if you're into DIY, but Muffs are very simple circuits with only a hap'orth of components.

I plug mine in and it's early '90s shoegaze round here.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4934
    edited May 19
    All I can tell you is that a Skreddy Mayo is the best Big Muff (for me), but a PastFX M1A is very very close for a lot less money. Neither of these needs another pedal to sound great.

IC muffs, I've had the Nano and two clones they all sounded similar tbh. They sound better stacked though for flat or boosted mids. 

I'd love to try a Civil War or clone, but I'll be honest the Mayo is just so so good it's not worth the hassle. The Thorpy is decent but has a modern and calmer edge than the madness of a vintage box.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

denz32 said:
    My first ever pedal was a Big Muff Pi with tone wicker. I had a Fender Twin (which was already way too loud for my bedroom at my parent’s house).

I cranked the volume and sustain on the pedal and plugged it in. I assumed that the volume knob on the Muff needed to be at 100% to be at unity with my amp (don’t ask me why, I was not a smart kid). 

Well, I hit a power chord and I’ll never forget the level of noise. It was absolutely deafening. My bedroom windows were actually shaking. My parents immediately started screaming at me to turn it down from downstairs. The neighbour’s dog started going nuts up the road. 

It scared the crap out of me (and everyone else) but oh man, what an incredible racket. It felt like detonating an explosive. 
    Legend!

• ewalewal Frets: 2632
    This is a good comparison video of the mini pedals. My favourites are Ram's Head and Russian.

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3487
    Boromedic said:
    All I can tell you is that a Skreddy Mayo is the best Big Muff (for me), but a PastFX M1A is very very close for a lot less money. Neither of these needs another pedal to sound great.

IC muffs, I've had the Nano and two clones they all sounded similar tbh. They sound better stacked though for flat or boosted mids. 

I'd love to try a Civil War or clone, but I'll be honest the Mayo is just so so good it's not worth the hassle. The Thorpy is decent but has a modern and calmer edge than the madness of a vintage box.
    The M1A is a Buffalo M1 clone, which is in itself a clone of a Ram’s Head with a Power Boost circuit in there too. So you’re right, it won’t need any other pedals to sound great, and that’s the reason. :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Boromedic said:

The M1A is a Buffalo M1 clone, which is in itself a clone of a Ram’s Head with a Power Boost circuit in there too. So you’re right, it won’t need any other pedals to sound great, and that’s the reason. :-)
    Oh I know what it's modelled on/cloned from, I was amazed how close to the Mayo it got for £120-130 delivered though ;)

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1184
    ewal said:
    This is a good comparison video of the mini pedals. My favourites are Ram's Head and Russian.

This video is useful thanks! I might be in the minority but I like the Op Amp model the best in that comparison. Also like the green Russian one. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 409
    Op Amp is my fave, too. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72859
    I’ll give you one guess which version I like best ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9962
    edited May 19
    ICBM said:
    I’ll give you one guess which version I like best .
    Is there a model of one on the Boss ME50?  ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom