Helix -v- ToneX - anyone compared them?

What's Hot
I'm very happy with my Helix rack and that isn't going anywhere. It is the heart of my recording set up in my home office / studio.

But I'm also thinking about a small lounge set up using a spare Yamaha HS7 powered monitor that I have and using it with a small form modeller with a couple of pedals. So either the HX Stomp or a ToneX (3 button). There's quite a bit of difference in prices to consider.

I realise the ToneX doesn't do effects beyond compression and reverb and that is ok, I have some pedals lying about.

I like Marshall cleans generally, then Hendrixy sort of slight gain, then Hetfield 800/G12-65 chunk.

How do the stock ToneX amp and cab models compare to the Helix options?

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    As good as if not better, however Amplitube is really good too plus has all the built in practice stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 751
    edited May 17
    I had the Helix for some time and was constantly tinkering to get the sound in my head. With the Tonex it's plug and play. Just get some nice sounding profiles from tone net or invest in a pack from one of the vendors and you're done. Alas, you can also place the Tonex on the fx loop of the Helix and get the best of two worlds.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • willowillo Frets: 389
    fnpt said:
    I had the Helix for some time and was constantly tinkering to get the sound in my head. With the Tonex it's plug and play. Just get some nice sounding profiles from tone net or invest in a pack from one of the vendors and you're done. Alas, you can also place the Tonex on the fx loop of the Helix and get the best of two worlds.
    What would the latency be like, putting the Tonex into the HX loop? Any idea?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4047
    willo said:
    fnpt said:
    What would the latency be like, putting the Tonex into the HX loop? Any idea?
    Non-existent I would expect. I have read a lot of people have done this with Helix, HX Stomp, Boss GT stuff, and haven't seen any latency issues reported.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4047
    For a plug and play living room set-up, I'd be tempted to try the new Pod Express.  Looks like a bit of a toy but it's sub £200, basically sounds like a Helix and looks super easy to use.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 751
    Zero latency in my case with the Boss GT1000 Core.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • willowillo Frets: 389
    Thanks guys
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2933
    edited May 17
    For a plug and play living room set-up, I'd be tempted to try the new Pod Express.  Looks like a bit of a toy but it's sub £200, basically sounds like a Helix and looks super easy to use.
    I'm debating between the Pod and the ToneX One, just looking for something mainly for home use, but just about giggable if I want to get into a band again! The issue I find with captures is there's too much choice and I'm forever tone hunting, when you get a good capture it does sound and feel great though! Just can't help myself and need the limitation I think haha, so leaning toward the Pod. Plus it has all the effects I'd use so I can have a nice tidy mini pedalboard.