SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Tom Anderson Classic

What's Hot
guitarajguitaraj Frets: 52
… i think. 

Played a TA a while back and the neck was perfect (Even Taper, I believe). It was a 24 fret Angel however and I’m more at home with 22 frets so I think it wants to be a Classic S. 

I don’t think I’m going for the Icon Classic because I actually prefer the 7/8 size body. Probably not the droptop either because they look so darn good I’d feel nervous taking it out of the case.

Anyone thinking of offloading one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2431
    Ah there was a beauty...sunburst HSS on Gumtree last week but its gone now,
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 52
    Strat54 said:
    Ah there was a beauty...sunburst HSS on Gumtree last week but its gone now,
    D’oh!
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134931374281?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OGM-VZrNStq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=De-pGGuOSX6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

no affiliation and i’d try to get it a lot cheaper as you’d struggle to get that back in the private market.

But that’s what I’d get if I didn’t have my Tyler 
    edited May 18
    Thanks @Catthan ; it looks good but wrong neck profile for me
  • eatapeacheatapeach Frets: 137
    Catthan said:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134931374281?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OGM-VZrNStq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=De-pGGuOSX6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

no affiliation and i’d try to get it a lot cheaper as you’d struggle to get that back in the private market.

I'm watching that one - the neck is great for me but it's beyond my budget for that guitar.  I've seen older drop tops go for cheaper than that.  A drop top with that neck, or even a different colour on a Classic...then we're talking
    Contrary to public opinion I'm near Manchester and Huddersfield and not near the M20!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 343
    eatapeach said:
    Catthan said:

I'm watching that one - the neck is great for me but it's beyond my budget for that guitar.  I've seen older drop tops go for cheaper than that.  A drop top with that neck, or even a different colour on a Classic...then we're talking
    That’s been up for absolutely ages. I think the seller must be pretty firm on price and it’s too high as is. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited May 18
    Catthan said:

I looked at that one.
    For me it had the wrong frets and neck profile.
    Also too expensive- that is a dealer price.
    I suspect that is a 'yes honey I've got it for sale but no one wants it' type ad.
    £2k is more reasonable.

Even Taper and Heavy frets are the config I like best, which my Classic has.
    Mine is a 2011- I got it in 2014 I think.
    It is a fantastic guitar and one of the guitars I use the most.
    The neck is just the best.

I am not a huge fan of Anderson pickups so I have Suhr SSV+ and ML pickups in it.
    It shipped with 3x single coils- Tom made me a pickguard and asked what pickups I was putting in, was cool when I said Suhr.

Sorry OP- it is not for sale (and never will be).

One thing to look for is a classic in any pickup config- you can easily get a replacement pickguard from TA and put in whatever you like. I've had this in HH, HSH and SSS. It is fairly easy to swap one out for another- I am considering going back to HH with some Bareknuckle Mules.

I also have a shorty Raven with Even Taper plus 0.30 which is great too.
    I am gigging both my Andersons at the moment and the Raven is the one that people ask me about, probably because it is a bit unusual looking.

Some other Anderson thoughts:

I don't tend to like the hollow ones compared to the solid body ones.
    The Cobra T and S are hugely under-rated too.
    I sold a Cobra T a few years ago and it is the only one I regret letting go.

Thanks @octatonic. Your classic looks bang on the money. Same spec as I would go for too in the neck config. 

I think I’d be open to a Cobra (of either persuasion) as well. 

Out of interest what do you not like about the hollow bodies?
  • greejngreejn Frets: 128
    Hi, have a TA for sale, think it's a classic, SSS in Olympic White with rosewood board.Few dings,nondescript case, £1750 delivered. Cheers, Jon
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    guitaraj said:
    Thanks @octatonic. Your classic looks bang on the money. Same spec as I would go for too in the neck config. 

I find them a bit soft sounding, I guess.
    The sustain is different and it doesn't work like a real hollowbody or semi-acoustic.
    I don't know- neither fish nor foul comes to mind.
  • stanstan Frets: 190
    I`ve got a 2001 TA Classic sss with hsh routs that I can move on. The serial Nr is  10-26-01.   I bought it here from jgc about 18 months ago and paid £1800 for it.  since then it`s had a complete overhaul & set-up by luthier John LeVoi in Lincolnshire. it`s in perfect playing condition now with no visible fret wear, new strings etc. not that it was in any way faulty to start with. John was a perfect gent to deal with and i`m showing some of his original fotos as they show the guitar details clearly.
    The guitar is in the EU at the moment but i`ll stand the import tax but not delivery cost if you`re interested.  So, purchase cost would be £1300 plus courier....tax paid, total.

image image image image
    octatonic said:
    guitaraj said:

The sustain is different and it doesn't work like a real hollowbody or semi-acoustic.
    Cheers. That’s interesting. I’d like to try one at some point but I can imagine it might lose a bit of snap
  • eatapeacheatapeach Frets: 137
    stan said:
    I`ve got a 2001 TA Classic sss with hsh routs that I can move on. The serial Nr is  10-26-01.   I bought it here from jgc about 18 months ago and paid £1800 for it.  since then it`s had a complete overhaul & set-up by luthier John LeVoi in Lincolnshire. it`s in perfect playing condition now with no visible fret wear, new strings etc. not that it was in any way faulty to start with. John was a perfect gent to deal with and i`m showing some of his original fotos as they show the guitar details clearly.
    The guitar is in the EU at the moment but i`ll stand the import tax but not delivery cost if you`re interested.  So, purchase cost would be £1300 plus courier....tax paid, total.

Do you have the correct serial number?  10-26-01A comes back as

Guitar Model:Hollow Drop Top
    Scale Length:Traditional (25 1/2-inch)
    Body Wood:Flame Maple on Alder
    Body Finish:Translucent Purple with Binding
    Contrary to public opinion I'm near Manchester and Huddersfield and not near the M20!
    greejn said:
    Hi, have a TA for sale, think it's a classic, SSS in Olympic White with rosewood board.Few dings,nondescript case, £1750 delivered. Cheers, Jon
    Do you have the serial number to hand Jon? Thanks,  Alex

stan said:

That’s a beaut. Will PM!
    Copy of the neck plate ....

• thetomskthetomsk Frets: 99
    octatonic said:
    guitaraj said:

I had a hollow classic drop top a few years ago and it was perfect in every way except how the hollow interacted with how I felt it should sound.

I'm now on the hunt for an Angel or a drop top but my budget is miniscule so I'm hoping for a divorcee who got them in the settlement looking to inflict max damage on her ex lol
    eatapeach said:
    stan said:

Do you have the correct serial number?  10-26-01A comes back as

Guitar Model:Hollow Drop Top
    Scale Length:Traditional (25 1/2-inch)
    Body Wood:Flame Maple on Alder
    Body Finish:Translucent Purple with Binding
    I think it’s a P not an A - that fits with the pics and description
  • thetomskthetomsk Frets: 99
    stan said:

image image image image
    That is a beauty, and also look a bit bargainous 
    Tom Anderson guitar now sold.  thanks for all inquiries guys.