More mixer/looper questions

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
So I run vocals and acoustic into my mixer (channels 1 and 2) then an aux send out to a looper (line 6 M9) that returns to channel 3. 

Each channel has a send level control plus a fader to control level to main mix. 

I’m wondering whether I should keep the faders for 1&2 cut back so just the output from the looper goes to the main mix?

Advantages - only having to worry about one level per channel for adjustments and I could potentially use the M9’s compressor on the overall mix (I don’t have a separate comp)

Disadvantages - the channel’s fx is post send so I wouldn’t be able to have different levels of reverb for each channel. 

Keen to hear anyone’s thoughts on this as I’ve been steered away from stupidity many times in this section! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3158
    edited May 17
    No , you should blend each channel to taste then send them to front of house, not just send the looper to FOH . This gives you much better instant  control over the overall mix and effects levels etc

NB Don’t get hung up about having to compress the whole mix, it’s a myth born out of I’ve got a compressor,I’ve learnt about it and I’m going to use it. 15 years ago the average gigging musician had never even thought of using one on his mixer, now it seems to be  fairy dust! Golden rule of compression and effects in general on mixing a band is, if you can hear it it’s too much
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    Thanks, that's what I've been doing but always suspect I'm doing it wrong! :lol:

I think the compression thing was born out of actually wanting a bit on the vocal (I use a comp on the guitar) but going about it ass-backwards. Unfortunately my mixer doesn't have built in compression and I'm not bothered enough to buy another piece of outboard gear. If a suitable mixer comes up for the right price I might upgrade but I'll make do for now.