Bk bulter pedal cuts out.

What's Hot
musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 54
in FX

Any ideas on what the issue could be in a bk butler pedal. 
It was working fine sold it on but the buyer says. 

works for a few minutes then the volume drops and it cuts out.

As the volume drops it gets 'spitty' like a fuzz pedal, them cuts out.

Not sure if it took a knock on transit or maybe the valve. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 732
    Hard to say. Is it a 240v ?
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 410
    Likely to be the tube but best take it to someone who can give it a proper lookthrough. If you have the option just try swapping the valve out. If that doesn't solve the issues then it is time to get the meter out. Sounds a bit like it is a power supply problem.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 54
    Thanks for the comments, it's a 9vDC adapter, negative center pin... First thought maybe the valve but would it not always have a low output rather than dropping.. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72911
    Sounds like it could possibly be a filament problem with the valve - that will cause the sound to fade out slowly, getting oddly distorted before it dies completely. If so it could be the valve itself, the contact between the valve and the holder, or a bad solder joint somewhere in the filament circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 732
    edited May 17
    Which BK Butler pedal is it ? Unusual to see one that uses a 9v supply. Perhaps a Genz Benz or one of the Tube Works models. 

Some of them require 12v, but I would imagine any of these would need a fair amount of juice from the power supply, whether 9 or 12v.

Loads of info on these pedals at http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_Tube_Driver_Versions.html
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5472
    I’ve always found BK to be approachable and friendly. If it’s an actual Butler Audio pedal you can email him - tech@butleraudio.com. 
  • woodwormwoodworm Frets: 6
    edited May 18
    Had a similar issue which turned out to be valve which was "dying"