Kelly jones - Inevitable Incredible concert with orchestra

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9932
I've not listened to the album itself yet but found this on iPlayer last night while the better half was watching some drivel on Netflix. Really beautiful sounds, interesting songs and a lovely (to me) expression of reflection, melancholy, and the kind of conversations I'm prone to having with myself in my head when I feel low. Hit me like a freight train as I wasn't expecting something so beautiful, I've not listened to him or Stereophonics for years but was a big fan as a 6th former. Sounds like he's really matured well as a songwriter and his voice is absolutely on point for this kind of thing.

The last Stereophonics album I heard was the one with Dakota on it, and the only solo stuff I've heard of his was something around the same time which i recall as sounding like a bunch of demos and didn't enjoy it very much. This however, is a beautiful sound all of its own and I was really pleasantly surprised to hear it. Lovely thick broody piano with atmospheric strings on top really works.

Thought I'd share in case anybody else liked that sort of thing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001yw4s/kelly-jones-in-concert
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27423
    Nice - I’m a very similar level of fan as you I think. Saw the Stereophonics live in Dubai a few years ago and they were great. I think it was the Keep the Village Alive tour, and that record actually had some decent songs. 

I saw he had a solo record out but haven’t listened - will def investigate 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9932
    I really liked Performance and Cocktails and some of Just Enough Education, but You Gotta Go There for me always felt like they'd lost their enthusiasm a bit and the mopey songs just weren't as strong as other bands doing that sort of thing (although Getaway on that album was wonderful, as well as High as the Ceiling and Madame Helga). The album with Dakota on it was ok but just sounded a different direction and by then I'd kind of moved on to "cooler" things so never really bothered again. I'm sure they'd put on a good fun show though to be fair.

This is definitely something different though and really glad I chanced upon it - thank goodness for crap American "feel good" dramas that the Better Half likes to watch.

There's a sort of documentary accompanying the concert which I thought would be interesting but was a bit dull, however it did set the melancholic vibe for the concert quite well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 390
    I'm going to stick that on my watchlist. I bought a cd single of Local Boy In The Photograph in a charity shop for about 10p and I absolutely love it.

I think I once read that Kelly Jones passed on the opportunity of a BBC? writing course/job to form Stereophonics.
  • I saw them at Hyde Park a couple of years ago supporting Pearl Jam and was really impressed. He's one of those singers whose voice singing live is almost indistinguishable from the recordings. Good energy in the band in general too.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4340
    He's got a fantastic voice.

I only have Performance and Cocktails but still listen to it fair bit. It's got some great songs on it.

Will have a butchers at this. Ta.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12134
    Ahh the Phonics, what can you say?

I'm going to say it... great fucking band.

One of the classic debuts.
    Second and Third albums were EVERYWHERE for a while, and produced several radio staples.
    Then they have kept plugging away, despite tragedy and time.

Each of their albums has two or three great songs on it - they are really a lot like a British Foo Fighters in their reliability (you will probably like their new single) and general enjoyability (can you have a bad gig with Local Boy, Traffic, Pick a Part, Dakota etc in your library?)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1409
    Debut album isn't bad, 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3357
    Jfingers said:
    I'm going to stick that on my watchlist. I bought a cd single of Local Boy In The Photograph in a charity shop for about 10p and I absolutely love it.

I think I once read that Kelly Jones passed on the opportunity of a BBC? writing course/job to form Stereophonics.
    Not sure about that, but they do owe a lot to the princes trust for grants that funded their early career. They were one of my favourite bands until the 3rd record came out. I saw numerus gigs in liverpool  where there was less than 10 of us in the crowd, right up to them opening the Hillborough Justice gig at anfield in 1997. He was still using a Peavey bandit as his only amp back then!  
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 350
    I don't know anybody in Wales who likes the Stereophonics.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't really know anybody in Wales to be honest
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 350
    I'm surrounded by the buggers!
    First album is fantastic. Second album is fantastic. Diminishing returns from then on, and a couple of the big singles got really annoying. But great live and those early songs were (and are!) just brilliant songs.
  • Vintage65 said:
    I'm surrounded by the buggers!
    I like their early stuff. I have mates who like them. Plenty love Dakota when played in pubs. Loads of us ‘buggers’ like them. 
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 994

Second and Third albums were EVERYWHERE for a while, and produced several radio staples.

Each of their albums has two or three great songs on it - they are really a lot like a British Foo Fighters in their reliability (you will probably like their new single) and general enjoyability (can you have a bad gig with Local Boy, Traffic, Pick a Part, Dakota etc in your library?)
    That is hilarious - talk about dammed by feint praise..... the British Foo Fighters!!! That must be one of the least attractive labels you could attach to anyone.....a more beige version of something already tediously mediocre.....

When i get to dreaming about the raw thrill of rock''n'roll in all its emotive power..... when I want to put my faith in musical redemption I need to know that the band I've chosen are.....

reliable and enjoyable......lol
    Just to be clear… they aren’t on the same plain as the Foo Fighters. Not on record, not for consistency and certainly not live
    I’d much prefer to listen to the Stereophonics than the Foo Fighters in honesty, but I’m aware I appear to be in a minority of one in not liking them :)
    edited May 22

That is hilarious - talk about dammed by feint praise..... the British Foo Fighters!!! That must be one of the least attractive labels you could attach to anyone.....a more beige version of something already tediously mediocre.....

When i get to dreaming about the raw thrill of rock''n'roll in all its emotive power..... when I want to put my faith in musical redemption I need to know that the band I've chosen are.....

reliable and enjoyable......lol
    lol... you can't even spell "faint" - how seriously can we really take your opinion...?

Unless of course you believe my praise was in fact a decoy, and the real praise is coming later!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’d much prefer to listen to the Stereophonics than the Foo Fighters in honesty, but I’m aware I appear to be in a minority of one in not liking them :)
    I was going to do a joke post about people's opinions that differ from mine being quite laughable with a bit of gatekeeping for good measure - mocking some of the shit posted above - but to be honest it sounded so much like the "succulent Chinese meal" guy... I thought 'd just post that instead...

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23325
    Each of their albums has two or three great songs on it - they are really a lot like a British Foo Fighters in their reliability 
    The only thing is, they're basically the same two or three great songs on every album.  So in that respect yes, they really are like a British Foo Fighters.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Each of their albums has two or three great songs on it - they are really a lot like a British Foo Fighters in their reliability 
    The only thing is, they're basically the same two or three great songs on every album.  So in that respect yes, they really are like a British Foo Fighters.  ;)
    Well they're no Wet Leg or Last Dinner Party... that's for sure :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom