Producer Max Norman on Randy Rhoads' Playing on Ozzy's Albums

JasOJasO Frets: 97
A few months after he perished in a plane crash, I put together a cover story tribute on Randy Rhoads for Guitar Player magazine. Among those I interviewed were Ozzy Osbourne, Randy's mom and brother, bassist Rudy Sarzo, and Max Norman, who'd recently produced Ozzy's breakthrough Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman albums.

If you're interested in how Randy created his iconic guitar sound on Ozzy's debut albums, here's my just-posted transcription of the complete Max Norman interview:

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/randy-rhoads-the-1982-max-norman

I hope you enjoy it!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    Thanks for posting @JasO . Those records have been favourites of mine since I was a lad - who knows what heights Randy would have reached if he hadn't got on that plane :(
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Thanks, I'll have a look later. 

I always liked Max Norman's productions.  I think those Ozzy albums were the first time I heard of him (maybe they were the first things he did?), but he also did some great stuff later on with Y&T, Coney Hatch, Malice and especially Megadeth.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1407
    Found that interesting. Quite a player who used his live rig to record as well. 
    I'd not heard of that AMS delay unit before that they used in the studio. Lot of dubbing, tracks on top of tracks.
    Cheers!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    Great article. 

Maybe a typo towards the end, I don't think Max is 29. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Maybe a typo towards the end, I don't think Max is 29. 
    I guess he was 29 in 1982.  Although Google says he was born in 1958, which would make him only 24 then.