Behringer xr18 users - advice

dariusdarius Frets: 664
Acquiring one of these from a friend who has used it for doing our sound at gigs, so I know the unit is good. 

What do you use to control it? My old iPad is too old for the X Air app, needs ios12 can’t update past ios10 due to Apple obsolete shiteness. 

What would you advise?
3rd party app?
Laptop app? (PC laptop is also very old!)
Buy a cheap oldish iPad?

I’ve never run a wireless desk, existing PA is old school powered and knobs. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6984
    Can your ipad run "Mixing Station" - thats a great 3rd party App that supports Behringer XR units (and most other digital mixing desks).

Home | Mixing Station
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    mrkb said:
    Can your ipad run "Mixing Station" - thats a great 3rd party App that supports Behringer XR units (and most other digital mixing desks).

Home | Mixing Station
    This - also make sure you use an external wireless router as the internal one is rubbish - there are fair few guides on YouTube how to set that up.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8816
    PC_Dave said:

… make sure you use an external wireless router as the internal one is rubbish - ...
    Even better, use a network cable plus an RJ45 to lightning/usb converter to link it to your iPad.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3710
    Roland said:
    PC_Dave said:

… make sure you use an external wireless router as the internal one is rubbish - ...
    Even better, use a network cable plus an RJ45 to lightning/usb converter to link it to your iPad.
    This.

I have used mine live with an external router (I had an old Apple Airport Express kicking about) but, if you're mixing from the stage, then cable is the way to go.

• dariusdarius Frets: 664
    mrkb said:

Home | Mixing Station
    Hi Mark - yes it’s Kev’s and it’s setup with a dedicated router. 
    I spotted mixing station - will check if it runs. Does it have all the features? Reliable? Anyone using it in preference to the native app?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8816
    I had a look at Mixing Station because there was a Behringer upgrade which caused a problem. That was soon fixed, and I went back to the Behringer X-Air app because I knew it better. X-Air has some features which Mixing Station doesn’t, but don’t ask because I can’t remember what they are.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Mixing station doesnt work on ancient ipad either.
    Xair works on the laptop, not as nice to use but it works. 
    There is a new ipad in the house but i dont think it's owner will appreciate me gigging it.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6984
    edited May 18
    Mixing station also works on iPhones.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    IMG_8835.png 93.2K
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    You can run it (once basically set up) with your phone with x air from the maker.
    An iPad gives slightly better access and larger screen, but my standard is an old laptop connected via a LAN cable. Since I’m playing and mostly have my hands full I’m not fiddling all the time and the screen will black out in many a set, but I have instant access if need be. We essentially set up in a small theatre and I put all the kit mics etc. on their respective channels with the appropriate processing, gates, comp, reverb etc. 
    At a gig I load the basic setup and tweak to accommodate for badly places mics or different gain settings on the instruments. Eq the system for the room and off we go.
    When I mix others I use the laptop and ride it all night if required.
    Watch yootoob vids to see how it works and watch out adding fx in monitor sends, it’s not always obvious!
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 938
    I’ve just listed my iPad Air 2 which I used for this exact purpose! See the ‘misc’ section of the classifieds if of interest? :)
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    For the record - I have Mixing Station running on a steam-powered iPad3 (iOS 9.3.5) with no issues.
    Thanks all. I bought a cheap refurb iPad and have gigged it twice already. It’s such a step up from the previous PA it’s taken things to a new level of awesome. 
    Now I’ve got all running on Xair I’m going to set it up with Mixing Station and see if I prefer it.