New Friedman “Plex” amp.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737
https://youtu.be/bgOlYzzFb1k?si=102whC-AEirlGsDH

It’s a bit sad that Marshall should be the ones doing this rather than other companies, but there’s no denying it sounds great.

Probably going to be stupid money though.

Dave makes me laugh a lot… complaining that people capturing “his” amps are stealing from him.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 409
    Amp sounds great, but my main takeaway is how good of a guitarist Pete Thorn is. He makes everything sound amazing. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7233
    £2800. It does sound undeniably great…. Not sure it sounds markedly better than either of my two, but of course I’d happily have one. Wouldn’t happily pay for one mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7847
    How many of these amps has he released?

It's fodder for the never ending online product/influencer/retailer cycle. 

Zzz

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Sounds great.

• randellarandella Frets: 4366
    Seen a couple of vids now, amp sounds fantastic.

It's big money, but it's a US made amp for sale in the UK so we pay dear just like US buyers getting their hands on Marshalls. 

I'd have one. 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 309
    NelsonP said:
    PPI MV, built in variac-like low voltage setting, and pre jumpered channels? This has a ton more useful features than the Marshall. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 51
    I think it sounds belting.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7233

It’s a bit sad that Marshall should be the ones doing this rather than other companies, 
    See, this is an interesting take. 

I think that if Marshall made this exact amp, point to point hardwired etc, and priced it at £2800, I don’t think they’d be applauded for it, I think there’d be uproar about the price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 18
    I feel Marshall are a bit like Fender and Gibson in that they were innovators at the outset but are now saddled with the legacy thing. Look how slowly Fender have evolved the Strat down the years, it's like watching a stressed parent trying to get vegetables inside a toddler.

I've moaned enough about Marshall but you have to say their product range is pretty solid now. Big, spendy fire-breathing JVMs down to the new (non-flammable) DSLs which have to be about the best value rock amps out there.

That, along with the reissues (full-fat and 20W) of every important amp they ever made (plus the JCM900 lol).

Sometimes I guess it has to be the likes of Friedman to get people to accept new and improved takes on the classics, a bit like Suhr and Anderson with the Strat. 

If Marshall had made this amp I'd put a fiver on there being a whole lot of Internet indignation about how they'd ballsed up the 1959 and should stick to making fridges. 

Perhaps I'm being too cynical. It has been known. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 18
    Cynical and wrong - I should have said "ballsed up the 1987" given that this new one is a 50 watter.

Pedantry counts!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737

It’s a bit sad that Marshall should be the ones doing this rather than other companies, 
    See, this is an interesting take. 

I think that if Marshall made this exact amp, point to point hardwired etc, and priced it at £2800, I don’t think they’d be applauded for it, I think there’d be uproar about the price. 
    You are right but they wouldn't have to charge that price in the UK for it.

The USA could get shafted on the price instead like tradition demands! ;) 

The 1959HW is about £1900 in the shops. If Marshall did the Friedman at £2250 with the extra stuff I don't think there would be that many complaints.

Marshall won't do it of course. When they released the 25W Jubilee the online demands for a Mini 800 were massive - and it still took Marshall about 5 years to do it.

They could have had a prototype in a month and in production in 6 months.

Self-destroying twats.

• DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 102
    Also the Marshall SV 20 watt mini head I mean Yeah i would rather one of those and spend on the other bits if I wanted
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4934
    edited May 18
    I know which will likely be more reliable....., I really really wanted to buy one of the Marshall 20 watters, it's a Marshall innit, all that heritage etc.. This GAS worsened especially when the ST20s came out. I looked at the gut shots and theres no contest really compared with the Friedman 20 watters. The 20w Marshalls will all be needing repairs before the Friedman.

The new Plex amp sounds class, Dave does have an ear for it that's for sure. Few too many flavours tbh, but there you go! The Runt is amazing

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6954
    Owned 4 x SV20s since they came out and not had a single issue with any. And for me they sound a lot better than the little Friedmans. Plus also don't have embarrassingly cringeworthy names like pink taco and brown eye 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 18
    Well, I bought a Runt so I'm safe from the embarrassing names that in reality are only in tiny font on the back. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6954
    But I'd know in my mind....
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Well, I bought a Runt so I'm safe from the embarrassing names that in reality are only in tiny font on the back. 
    I don't think it would really bother me either but it'd do the FX and amp industry a favour to see what happened in the UK brewing industry.

Turns out that you can increase your market share to the other half of the population if women feel they can avoid having to ask for a pint of "Old Buxom Bridget's Big Tits Stout". 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Oh I agree they're ridiculous names, doesn't stop them selling though either. Maybe with the Plex, he's changed pink "tack"-o a little. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    Ceriatone had majority of these features covered a few years back. Petes a great player and the "Plexi Platform" lends itself nicely to his sort of product...you certainly don't need to spend £2800 to get those tones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom