Let It Be film remastered and on Disney+

CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1401
Almost finished this (rooftop scene right now). Never seen the film before - and I can understand why this flopped at the box office. It's all a bit of a mess with no context of what is going on with the band (at one point Billy Preston appears out of nowhere on keys).

The 8 hour Peter Jackson thing is leaps and bounds better and really hammers home the gradual disintegration of the band and frictions. 

The only footage not in the doc that are in the film are the direct to camera McCartney piano songs Let It Be and Long and Winding Road?
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1053
    edited May 18
    I'm just glad they've put it out as they promised to do at the start. Whether it can be classed as a good film or not doesn't bother me personally; it was part of the legend until the Jackson version was released and it deserves to be seen as many long term fans have never seen it, despite hearing about it for years.

I presume the image clarity is the same as the full length version?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14714
    edited May 18
    I had a VHS copy of Let It Be recorded from the BBC but eventually wore it out. Sometime in the Eighties, somebody took out an injunction to prevent it being shown.

The remastered Michael Lindsay-Hogg film is reviewed in MOJO issue 368. True to my recollection, it paints a comparatively bleak portrait of the band as they were at the time. 

e.g. A scene in which a pissed off George is telling Paul, "whatever you ask me to play, I will play." Also, the portrayal of Yoko as some sort of eminence grise

This must have been a few days before George walked out, vowing never to return, only to be sweet talked back into the studio not long afterwards.

One of the myths about what upset George was his supply of McVitie's Digestive biscuit being half-inched. 

None of that appears in the Jackson edit.

Biscuit packet half empty or half full? You decide.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12473
    I remember watching it at the cinema when it was first released and being disappointed. Not just in the film itself and the disjointed way it was put together, but also the sad end to what was once a great band and group of friends. I haven’t seen the PJ full version yet, it sounds like a vastly better version of events.  
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3107
    I'll try to fit this in but have watched Get Back a couple of times. It's pretty sad about their disintegration but there are some fascinating moments. My main takeaway was that my old originals band were working in a very similar way, just with less time, and of course songwriting/performing talent :) The doc captures the feeling of being in a band with your mates perfectly. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9964
    I saw this was released and had assumed it was another long documentary like the Get Back one, but am I right in now thinking that Get Back was essentially the uncut version of this film?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic