Hottest humbucker-sized filtertron

What's Hot
hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
I fancy giving my 335-type a little more spank, but only a little. I was looking into hb-sized filtertrons and Lollartron a were described as “halfway between filtertron and paf” but they’re still too tron for me. I’d like something a bit more towards paf. So a bit of brightness, clarity and clang but not so much of that strong, sharp fundamental. 

Any tv Jones suit? Or sd psyclone? Or one of the uk builders?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14714
    Somebody is listing a hot TV Jones 'Tron in the Parts£ section. (No affiliation.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2452
    I'd go to Fletcher. I've got a set of Creamery humbucker-sized Black Cats with a slight overwind but they're still very much Filtertron. I reckon Fletcher has the most standard options in terms of varying levels of hotness that he's tried and tested.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28987
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8074
    Sporky said:
    Powertron pro is just a Gibson paf with a hint of Filtertron.  Yuk!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28987
    The OP did want more PAF than Tron...

There's the Powertron for the next step "down". Sporkaster 4 had one of those in the bridge. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3323
    I’m no expert on pickups, but isn’t the lower wind a significant contributor to the brightness and clarity of a filtertron? 

I’d agree with @timmypix and go Fletcher for these. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5862
    I’m no expert on pickups, but isn’t the lower wind a significant contributor to the brightness and clarity of a filtertron? 

Yup. And I’d say that good filters will do just about everything a PAF bucker can do but not vice versa. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    I've just removed some Blacktop Broadr'Trons from my Gretsch Electromatic - they might fit the bill? Standard HB size. PM me if interested. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10966
    tFB Trader
    I fancy giving my 335-type a little more spank, but only a little. I was looking into hb-sized filtertrons and Lollartron a were described as “halfway between filtertron and paf” but they’re still too tron for me. I’d like something a bit more towards paf. So a bit of brightness, clarity and clang but not so much of that strong, sharp fundamental. 

Any tv Jones suit? Or sd psyclone? Or one of the uk builders?
    Personally I'd fit Firebird pickups ... far easier to make more Gibson like ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 256
    Can I ask...what pickups are currently in your 335? It could just be that a different PAF set will give you "spank".

I've tried lots of PAFs and a fair few trons, and they aren't really doing the same thing. The world of PAF clones is broad and covers a lot of ground in terms of sound. Get yourself a nice, bright, clanky PAF clone and you'll probably find something close to what you've described. 

In my personal experience, I have found that if you deviate too far away from the typical Filtertron specs, you lose what a tron is, and don't get something "PAF"-esque. I had a 9k MojoTron (hum sized) and it was way too hot, super compressed and just a bit hard to dial in.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 667
    tFB Trader
    Hottest? Probably can fit 25-30k on those little bobbins.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    nacnudnai said:
    Can I ask...what pickups are currently in your 335? It could just be that a different PAF set will give you "spank".

I've tried lots of PAFs and a fair few trons, and they aren't really doing the same thing. The world of PAF clones is broad and covers a lot of ground in terms of sound. Get yourself a nice, bright, clanky PAF clone and you'll probably find something close to what you've described. 

In my personal experience, I have found that if you deviate too far away from the typical Filtertron specs, you lose what a tron is, and don't get something "PAF"-esque. I had a 9k MojoTron (hum sized) and it was way too hot, super compressed and just a bit hard to dial in.
    You might be right - I’ve checked out all the hot filtertrons and they’re a bit meh. So maybe I’ll stop looking at Trons and start looking at brighter pafs. I’ve some lollar imperials at the moment and they’re no exactly dark. 
  • I think I would look into the DiMarzio EJ Customs for this job. They're humbuckers with a Gretsch-style voice, according to the sales blurb. I've never tried them, but the blurb claims to do something like what you want. Here's what DiMarzio say:

Although Eric Johnson is best known as a Strat® player, he has always played humbucker-equipped guitars as well. After getting a new Gibson® Les Paul® 1959 re-issue, Eric asked us if it could be made to sound like an old Gretsch® Country Gentleman guitar. We said, “No problem!” The pickups we designed are exact replacements for standard, full-size humbuckers. They’re bright and have great presence without sounding thin. When Eric tried them, he said they were almost as clear-sounding as Strat® pickups. He was surprised at how well they sounded with heavy distortion, because no matter how overdriven the sound, it did not become muddy.