Best modulation and delays..

thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
edited May 18 in Digital & Modelling
So which unit has the best modulation and delays..

Something that competes with the Strymon mobius and either the time line/Boss dd500.

I've had line 6 helix, boss gt1000 ,and the stomps/cores.

Don't think either are as good as the pedals mentioned for  modulation/delay.  I had a fractal fx8 a few years ago and that was fantastic sounding . But I don't want to have outsmart the unit in order to make it good, and it was  large.  I don't want to have to apply EQ or adjust the input of my guitar, just plug it in, set up the routing and go...

Footswitch wise I think around 4 or 5 is the optimum number and would need an FX loop( ideally two..)..
Fractal fm3 would probably tick the boxes but seems a bit overkill money wise.

Is there anything  else out there that can compete?

I'm not  bothered about amp modelling, drives etc. really just want something that will cover modulations, delays, and hell why not some reverb as well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• topdog91topdog91 Frets: 381
    It's all subjective innit. They're all good innit. *shrug*

Not sure what you are missing in any sense.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    edited May 18
    topdog91 said:
    It's all subjective innit. They're all good innit. *shrug*

Not sure what you are missing in any sense.
    On the helix lt for example, I don't find any of the modulations or delays as good as the mobius/dd500.   They're ok, but they just don't sound as good.   They don't sit in the mix as well, and just sound lower quality to my ears.  I've tried lots of tweaks etc and I can't get them to sound as good .
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    I love the Korg SDD3000
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4854
    If you have the budget…. I replaced a GT1000Core and a Mobius with an Eventide H90. Absolutely no regrets so far. A step up in power, flexibility and a reduction in real estate space. 
    russpm said:
    I love the Korg SDD3000
    For delay?  Is it a full modulation pedal like the mobius as well ?? 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    I wouldn't rule out the FM3 - I haven't bought a pedal since I got it (if you can ignore the fact I sold it to get an FM9) so it represents good value from my perspective.
    The great thing with the Fractal products is the incredible level of control available to finitely adjust almost every parameter you can imagine. It means that if you have a sound in your head, you should be able to achieve it. I haven't come across any other pedal that gets anywhere close to the flexibility of the Fractal stuff.

• russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    thomasw88 said:
    russpm said:
    I love the Korg SDD3000
    It does a for bit of modulation along with delay
    russpm said:
    thomasw88 said:
    russpm said:
    I love the Korg SDD3000
    It does a for bit of modulation along with delay
    I'm looking for something that could replace the mobius as well as the dd500
    Beexter said:
    I wouldn't rule out the FM3 - I haven't bought a pedal since I got it (if you can ignore the fact I sold it to get an FM9) so it represents good value from my perspective.
    The great thing with the Fractal products is the incredible level of control available to finitely adjust almost every parameter you can imagine. It means that if you have a sound in your head, you should be able to achieve it. I haven't come across any other pedal that gets anywhere close to the flexibility of the Fractal stuff.

That's currently on the radar and I think it would be awesome.. but pricey!   Does it have any impact on tone to a real  amp? Saw a few people saying that  it doesnt play well with other pedals and an amp 

!TheBigDipper said:
    If you have the budget…. I replaced a GT1000Core and a Mobius with an Eventide H90. Absolutely no regrets so far. A step up in power, flexibility and a reduction in real estate space. 
    Watched a few vids on the h90 it does look good. Is it a faff to program? People moan about the dd500 menu diving but tbh it's fairly straight forward and sounds great. The mobius is the only pedal I've come across where the factory presets are actually really good! Again tweaking isn't  difficult on it.

I think the problem I've had with modellers is that I always find I'm wanting to tweak the sounds a bit. With the dd500/mobius I've set up a bunch of presets and then just left them in the main.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1505
    I have both the H90 and an FM3, I'm using the H90 on my board and the FM3 on my desk with headphones/monitors.

I'd say, desktop editors are easy to use on both, on device programming can be a faf until you're used to the process.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    thomasw88 said:
    Beexter said:

That's currently on the radar and I think it would be awesome.. but pricey!   Does it have any impact on tone to a real  amp? Saw a few people saying that  it doesnt play well with other pedals and an amp 

!TheBigDipper said:
    Watched a few vids on the h90 it does look good. Is it a faff to program? People moan about the dd500 menu diving but tbh it's fairly straight forward and sounds great. The mobius is the only pedal I've come across where the factory presets are actually really good! Again tweaking isn't  difficult on it.

I think the problem I've had with modellers is that I always find I'm wanting to tweak the sounds a bit. With the dd500/mobius I've set up a bunch of presets and then just left them in the main.
    I can't say I've tried the FM3/ FM9 as effects only into an amp so can't comment. To be honest, I don't think I've switched on any of my amps or pedals since going Fractal. It's just so flexible and I can switch pedal chain order, experiment with parallel routing and loads of other stuff quicker and more conveniently on the Fractal than I could do with real amps & pedals. I just run in mono into a Fender FR-10 and am really happy with how it sounds and feels whether at bedroom volume or band rehearsal/ gig levels.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4854
    edited May 19
    H90 programming. This might surprise you ( it does me) but I don't program it with the computer or tablet. It's quite quick to get into the workflow and do it all on the unit. Really. But, just for context, I control it from an ES-5 and don’t use the performance features, just load and tweak sounds. That's an unexplored area for me. 

It's nothing like a modeller. It's a great MFX with lovely sounds and no hardware compromises that I can detect.