Assembled in the USA vs Made in the USA

What's Hot
victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1052
Is this just a question of the parts/hardware being made elsewhere? I wonder where the line is drawn.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3348
    Legislation...Suhr avoided the 'assembled' thing:
    https://www.suhr.com/headstock-engraving/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aconitethrillaconitethrill Frets: 78
    I remember this hitting Grover Jackson’s GJ2 stuff because they had (iirc) German hardware - I seem to recall them moving from ‘made in the USA’ to ‘made on planet Earth’
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5472
    It’s California that’s super hardcore about origin of parts - very little being put together there can be legally “made in the USA” under state law. It affects Suhr, Fender and Ernie Ball amongst others. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 311
    I dont know about definitions and whether they have any legal meaning but I've often thought that US or UK 'made' products like pedals and amps surely have resistors, capacitors and pots in them made in the Far East (unless they are NOS). So what does it mean to be 'made in the UK' these days?

Gotoh tuners on a premium guitar is no bad thing in my opinion... but you'd like to think if it was US made that the body and neck were carved from a timber blank in the country where it says it was made. 

I would check the manufacturer's website for details of exactly what comes from where and if you're not finding the answers you want then take your business elsewhere. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72908
    Legislation...Suhr avoided the 'assembled' thing:
    https://www.suhr.com/headstock-engraving/
    The only problem with that is that it lends more legitimacy to the very misleading labelling of things like 90s Washburns which had neckplates stamped with "Buffalo Grove, Il. USA" (ie the address of the head office) on guitars *made entirely* in the far east.

Personally, I don't have any problem with a guitar, or parts of it, being made in other places than the Good Ol' US Of A, but I think it's wrong to mislabel stuff by implication like that - unless the true origin is also mentioned next to it. If that plate had a small 'Made In Korea' under the USA it would be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3683
    I think if the majority of value in the parts are USA made and they are put together there they are entitled to call them Made in USA. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19255
    ^ Schecter do the same on their Korean or Indonesian built  `'Diamond Series'.

Jual Neck Plate Schecter  1 Diamond Series  di Lapak Prezto Music
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7667
    Special mention to Blackstar:

Manufactured and assembled in China. Ads with Union Jack logo with text “Engineered in the UK” because ‘engineered’ is a different thing and definitely not designed to deceive. 
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1410
    Made in Japan v Crafted in Japan?

Dont Edwards assemble some of their models in Japan out of parts made in China?

Yes and so do Yamaha, but “made” and “crafted” don’t have any legal meaning, was purely marketing and what the suits thought would improve product perception. 
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 454

They did this for a few years, to my knowledge they are now completely made in Japan again
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1052
    edited May 20
    It's the glued neck guitars that got me thinking about this. With a 335, for example, is it assembled in the USA if the body and neck are put together and sprayed in China, then shipped to the USA to have the hardware screwed on?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    I can assemble a guitar from parts, but I've never made one.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3372
    No mention of Duesenberg yet?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10958
    tFB Trader
    I have no problem buying anything made anywhere ... apart perhaps Russia or North Korea ... but what bugs the living fuck out of me are advertisements that that feature the Union Flag and thus play on a UK customer's desire to buy British ...when the products are only 'designed' in the UK. and made many thousands of miles away. 
    My own feeling is that it's borderline dishonest. 
    If you are ashamed that your products are made in china for you (and you shouldn't be) don't say anything rather than jump up and down waving the flag. 
    I'm in no way patriotic ... but I don't like the wool being pulled over the eye of folks who are.... for profit. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Pretty sure they don't have "made in..." anywhere in particular on their instruments so it doesn't actually become an issue for them.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2559
    I have no problem buying anything made anywhere ... apart perhaps Russia or North Korea ... but what bugs the living fuck out of me are advertisements that that feature the Union Flag and thus play on a UK customer's desire to buy British ...when the products are only 'designed' in the UK. and made many thousands of miles away. 
    Triumph motorcycles is awful for this, every bike has a union flag painted on it somewhere while they’re made in Thailand. 

It’s a very common thing in leather goods and shoes, get the things made in China, apart from the linings. Make the linings in Italy etc and stick a “made in Italy” badge on the lining, then simply fit the lining to the actual shoe/bag/purse 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1035
    What about pedals? If a company have their printed circuit boards made up in China, and then they assemble them over here, can they still claim 'hand made in the UK'? Does it make a difference if some or all of the components are soldered to the circuit board over here? 

I'm not sure if this is legally defined or a bit of a grey area. Does anyone know? Not sure it worries me that much but I do wonder.  
    What about pedals? If a company have their printed circuit boards made up in China, and then they assemble them over here, can they still claim 'hand made in the UK'? Does it make a difference if some or all of the components are soldered to the circuit board over here? 

I'm not sure if this is legally defined or a bit of a grey area. Does anyone know? Not sure it worries me that much but I do wonder.  
    I think the point is is that very few jurisdictions have defined it - as I mentioned above, the State of California has… but for loads of other places it’s a very grey area because there are very few rules. 
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 859
    edited May 20
    Duesenberg are now very open about the fact the bodies are made in Croatia and finished in Germany.
    Ive no idea if they were ever made elsewhere but for several years they’ve been Croatia.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom