Would the police routinely look for fingerprints on the controls in a car after a crash?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12055
Does anyone know - If someone drunk and unconscious was found in the driving seat after a crash in which the other car was deflected into a river, and from which 3 people were saved but could have been killed, would the police fingerprint-check the controls to make sure that the person in the driving seat had been the person driving the car?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1219
    Don't know but finger prints on the steering wheel of a car doesn't guarantee they were driving it. Being found in the driving seat unconscious is probably more of a give away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hope everyone is ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19255
    You an Archers fan?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12055
    S56035 said:
    Hope everyone is ok.
    Don't worry, it's hypothetical 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24752
    No. Not routine. 

In fact if everyone lived and there’s no serious injuries then plod might not even get the accident reconstruction team out at all. Depends how busy they were elsewhere that night.

Good luck with your novel! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31800
    It'll all come out in the end, and it'll be Harrison who solves it. 

:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10498
    In a fatal or near fatal accident they will examine the seat belt and coat / top the driver was wearing to determine who was driving. Finger prints wouldn't really mean anything as they could be there from a previous drive. 

There was a case round the corner of me where a teenager was killed when a car left the road on Portsdown hill. The driver at the time  fled the scene and the owner of the car claimed to be driving. However police proved who was driving by the pressure marks caused by the seatbelt on the drivers coat. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2368
    S56035 said:
    Hope everyone is ok.
    Are you writing a crime thriller?

edited May 20
    p90fool said:
    It'll all come out in the end, and it'll be Harrison who solves it. 

I think we'll see George fall apart first, more likely if someone thinks about the clues about fruit cider cans that have been dropped in . My guess is Joy hearing about the cider tins in the car and going full-on Mrs Marple.
    Adey said:
    S56035 said:
    Hope everyone is ok.

It's just the plot of the Archers at the minute.
    I'm trying to guess which way the story might go
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31048
    Nope. That needs a forensics team to turn up and unless there's real chance of a conviction from prints, which is unlikely as prints don't have a date stamp, they won't bother. If car stolen, there's a better chance.

(above from my partner who is an insurance fraud lawyer).

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

S56035 said:
    Hope everyone is ok.
    Then I hope they're dead.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2949
    edited May 21
    As Gassage has said fingerprints are not dated - consequently CSI would only look for prints if there is zero chance that the person could have legitimately touched that area previously.  Also, steering wheels are not great for capturing prints - they tend to be porous or leather which will distort any prints present.  

• SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    So, you invite an old adversary out for a drink to clear the air. You spike their drinks and in their stupor you load them into the passenger seat of their car. You make sure you are wearing their jacket. You drive out of town to a dark lane and purposely ram another car off the road. You wrestle your enemy into their coat and the driving seat. With a burner phone you call 999 and flee the scene. You recover your hidden bicycle from a nearby bush and get back to town using the back roads, losing the bike into the canal. You stumble drunkenly into a takeaway on the way home to get some cctv evidence that you were not near crash site. You get away with it. 
    Until Columbo says, "One more thing..." 

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26974
    Yup, fingerprints don't come with timestamps, so they'd be useless.

Funnily enough, that was the key vulnerability in one of the cases I sat on the jury for. The prosecution's only physical evidence was a single fingerprint, which was most likely left years before.
    <space for hire>
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7596
    These days the police would need a signed passport photo in an envelope with a utility bill to initiate an investigation, and even then they probably wouldn't solve the case :)
    Danny1969 said:
    In a fatal or near fatal accident they will examine the seat belt and coat / top the driver was wearing to determine who was driving. Finger prints wouldn't really mean anything as they could be there from a previous drive. 

There was a case round the corner of me where a teenager was killed when a car left the road on Portsdown hill. The driver at the time  fled the scene and the owner of the car claimed to be driving. However police proved who was driving by the pressure marks caused by the seatbelt on the drivers coat. 
    I can believe it, I had a bad crash, and the seat belt changed the appearance of my cotton jumper, it took months for the difference to disappear
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19255
    edited May 20
    Adey said:
    S56035 said:
    Hope everyone is ok.

It's just the plot of the Archers at the minute.
    I'm trying to guess which way the story might go
    Thought so, from the sheer quantity of 'ad's' for the plot lately on Radio 4.
    I was a listener from the 80's after a kind of Stockholm Syndrome experience where the lab I worked in observed a no talking, just Archers listening rule while it was on.
    Gave up listening altogether after Nigel Pargetter fell off the roof. Shark - jumped... but still they keep trying, again & again  s
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31800
    edited May 20
    I gave up on it when Grey Gables' gardener, Titwank, married widowed Mrs Fuzzyfanny in a plot twist so tedious I stuck a fork in my eyeball. 

(I think those were their names, or they were something equally Dickensian). 

EDIT;
    He was actually the gardener at Lower Loxley Hall, sorry. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/5jpQkplyCHhWkJ3SsXpyPBd/edgar-titcombe
  • randellarandella Frets: 4369
    I always thought programming on Radio 4 was according to a strict, timed schedule. Makes it all the more mysterious, then, that as soon as may car's tyres have crossed the give way lines onto a motorway, either the Archers or Gardener's Question Time will magically start.