Nigel "Sharkey" Ward

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12281
Almost missed this but a colleague at work who is ex-FAA pointed it out to me.  Nigel Ward passed away on Friday aged 81.

Commander Nigel Ward, known as "Sharkey" was "Mr Sea Harrier" and the key individual in getting into operation, just in time to help win the Falklands War, the BAe Sea Harrier, a naval fighter derivative of the famous jump jet.  The "SHAR" was the only fighter and strike air cover available to the fleet as they sailed into the range of a large and capable air force off the Falklands.

Sharkey personally scored three kills in the Falklands, and was present for another 10.  Crucially he also advised the Flag on the capabilities of the Sea Harrier, and commanded 801 squadron aboard the new HMS Invincible.

In his earlier career, he also flew the Sea Vixen and the Phantom.  After the war, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for Gallantry.

After leaving the Navy in 1985, he spent much of the rest of his career advocating for carrier strike, the ability of the Royal Navy to protect itself, and against constant budget cuts for the Navy, while the government continued to send it's young men and women into harms way.

Tragically, his son, who followed him into the Navy and also flew the Sea Harrier, passed away in 2018.

As my colleague said, "He will be lighting up the enemy with his boy as his wing man."

Rest in Peace Commander.
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12281
    NB: this is the tributes thread - if anyone wants to debate the Falklands, start a thread in P&E and I'll see you there, thanks. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111
    "All fighter pilots need an ego, and I had the biggest ego of them all"

His book is fantastic.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12281
    blobb said:
    "All fighter pilots need an ego, and I had the biggest ego of them all"

His book is fantastic.
    Absolutely - a must-read for anyone interested in either fighters or the Falklands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1745
    edited May 21
    I remember his interview spots from Reaching for the Skies the documentary Series on the BBC way back. I video'd and watched all the episodes to death!

I'll go and check out his book!

Edit: Here they all are on this Youtube Playlist - Nigel is on towards the end of the Victory Over the Sea - which is Episode 4:

I dont think I;ve copied the playlist correctly - just the link for episode 1 - bugger.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 255
    I bought the book this morning. That's my summer holiday reading sorted.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12383
    @darthed1981 - great post and right up my alley.  RIP indeed.