One Fuzz

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2241
in FX
Does anyone know of a pedal that can go from Fuzz Face to Big Muff in a single pedal? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3491
    edited May 20
    I quite like the Magnetic Effects White Atom for that. Though they're rarer these days, they can be found. I've done lots of comparison tests on these and the 4-knob version is my favourite.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2241
    Thank Jonathan! The search begins :) 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3491
    I shall keep an eye out for you, mate :-)

I've never played one of these but @ThorpyFX ;BC108 version of the Fallout may well fit the bill too, as it's a Muff circuit with a chip that was traditionally used in old school silicon Fuzz Face circuits. Perhaps, Adrian might chime in on that one. I really don't know if any of what I just said matters!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1517
    edited May 21
    If you're sfter a White Atom there is a 5 knobber on the 'bay for a crazy good price.

They're very versitile but imo there are certain qualities of FF and muff that are kind of opposed to each other. I'm not sure one pedal could cop the nuances of both tones (loose vs tight bass for starters) unless it was specifically designed to try otrwas a 2 in1. Then there's the question of transistor numbers and types. It's a minefiedl!

That said, I'm sure sure one of the newer builders can or has put together something that'll get you close. The Peach Fuzz may get you close, with Muff type tones but some level of cleanup, FF style. Originals can be prohibitive but there's always the Dano Cool Cat v1, which is a Frantone rip off.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8565
    Redbeard Hairy Squid is a good option. The first silicon mode is mid-thick and sounds a bit more fuzzface ish to me, the germanium mode is pure big muff, and the LED mode is big muffin steroids. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    HX One? I don't know if that's got the variable input impedance that's important for the FF though. It does have 4 or 5 different big muffs though. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6982
    There's plenty of fuzzes that will get you from fuzz face to muff in terms of gain and heaviness but not ever found one that does it in terms of cleanup and all the shades of grey that a fuzz face gives you on the volume control of your guitar. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    I've got 4 fuzzes. IMHO you are going to struggle. Work out what you want most of. My choice for one fuzz would be a sun face. Expensive but plug and play.
  • DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 137
    Kernom's Moho is definitely worth a look.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3115
    Zoom Ultrafuzz UF-01. It has a knob that goes from fuzz face at one end to big muff at the other. It might be tricky to find one now though. It’s one of my favourite pedals.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3068
    Wampler Velvet Fuzz is pretty versatile - the "mode" switch changes between "big" and "tight":

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27608
    I don’t think anything quite does that specifically, but the BC108 Fallout is bloody good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 796
    edited May 21
    Fuzz faces and muffs are quite different really in more ways than that.
    You might as well look at two mini pedals or something?

An eq pedal, possibly in front of a fuzz so it can boost/reduce gain as well as frequency, might be an idea. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    I shall keep an eye out for you, mate :-)

I've never played one of these but @ThorpyFX ;BC108 version of the Fallout may well fit the bill too, as it's a Muff circuit with a chip that was traditionally used in old school silicon Fuzz Face circuits. Perhaps, Adrian might chime in on that one. I really don't know if any of what I just said matters!
    so using the BC108 transistors in that version was quite an interesting sound, at lower gain levels it could get into fuzz face territory certainly, not fully there because ultimately 3 stages of gain and an extra stage for boost at the front end provides much more square wave gain than two stages. there's more to it than that but essentially hard to make a big muff style circuit sound totally like a fuzz face. 

if anything our boneyard fuzz was closer as in two stage mode (mk1.5 tone bender) its closer to a  fuzz face and then with a switch you could activate a third stage and then craft the sound into a MKIII style tone bender sound... which is closer to a  big muff.

The REAL answer here though is to deep dive and enjoy each fuzz circuit for its merits and negatives.. "gotta catch em all. fuzzemon"
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3953
    Wampler Velvet Fuzz is pretty versatile - the "mode" switch changes between "big" and "tight":

I've got one here if someone wants it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72935
    edited May 21
    The Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz or the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz which is a direct copy of it will get close. Fuzz 1 is more Fuzz Face-like, Fuzz 2 is more Big Muff-like. You need the gain right down to get the same sort of sounds, it really has a lot otherwise!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein