Robben's Ford Les Paul or 594 wiring?

What's Hot
fusionmanfusionman Frets: 9
Hi to all. I have the opportunity to get a modified Mccarty:the seller change stock PRS 2021 electronics to 50's wiring with Bumblebee capacitors and 59's pots. The thing is with that mod the volume and tone works a little diffferent than regular ones and I don't know if it will works for me.....He told me that he can change electronics to stock ones (I think stock ones has treble bleed).

This thing has made me wonder if Robben Ford modifies the electronics of his Les Paul/PRS type guitars in order to have 50's wiring or doesn't...

Thanks!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2454
    50s wiring is a) a subtle difference and is only really noticeable if you really use the volume and tone controls a lot, and b) involves moving the tone pot connection to the volume pot from the outer lug to the inner lug. Literally two solder joints if you want it back to "modern" wiring. 

Putting the treble (non!)bleed back in is marginally more involved, as it's an extra capacitor and resistor wired across the volume put, but still very simple to reinstate if you want it. 

If you like the guitar, don't let the potential wish to change it back to stock put you off as it'll be very easy to do.
    Tim
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 311
    Robben Ford often plays reissues and those have 50s wiring. Not sure about the wiring on his signature PRS but I would imagine it’s something more complicated. Either way I wouldn’t overthink it, the guitar is likely to be good regardless. 50’s wiring rolls off less treble with the volume than modern wiring without a treble bleed installed. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    50’s wiring rolls off less treble with the volume than modern wiring without a treble bleed installed. 

And probably rolls off more treble than a volume with a treble bleed (depending on the exact treble bleed cap value and whether it's got a resistor too and what value etc.)

It's really preference I think. Depends on the guitar too, some guitars suit one or the other more. That might be only in my head, though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom