Gigging clean pedal platform - Acs1/IR-2/Stomp/Iridium etc????

What's Hot
I have a new live duo project doing covers with backing tracks. Due to the venues we’re booked into (restaurants, cocktail bars, generally smaller spaces) the big loud valve amps that I normally use in full bands need to stay at home.

There are so many options for modeller pedals… Iridium, Walrus ACS1, HX Stomp, Boss IR2, Humboldt Simplifier etc etc

My needs:
1. It has to be in a pedal format for practicality
2. I only need good clean tones because…
3. I need to run my regular pedalboard into the modeller so it HAS to take drive and mod pedals well
4. It has to sound good and have a natural feel 

If you have any views/recommendations they’d be gratefully received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 371
    from personal experience mixing them from front of house, the UA dream 65 sounds "best" closely followed by the Iridium. 

The Stomp is also good but takes some dialling in, the Boss is good and simple. 

The ACS1 and Simplifier I didnt like the sound of - i've owned the ACS1 and heard pedals into the simplifier and its not as good at the Stomp or the aforementioned "better" options. 

Personally i went with a stomp so i can use it as a multi FX with my usual setup going into an amp or switch in a well dialled amp+cab block for direct gigs or home practice. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4056
    I’d also consider the ToneX One. I’ve just got one and not tested yet, but see the other thread if you’ve not already.
    but to be completely honest, unless you legally required to NOT use an amp (like some awful wedding venues ive played), a small amp like a champ or even a princeton will sound nicer at low volume than a direct to PA solution into a small PA and wont be too loud - obviously depends on style of music, band setup, what your PA is etc.... 

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 297
    @ChrisCox1994 Which of the modelling units also need to use a DI box before connecting to the PA system? This is probably another reason for the OP to consider using a small amp instead. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1566
    Thanks all for the comments so far. I mean, I could use a small amp, but thought the modern amp-sim-in-a-pedal digital approach would bring ease of use, less stuff to transport and set up, stop me being a direct beam of sound, fit into a smaller space, would “do the job” etc.

The music would be a blend of modern female pop (Swift, Lipa, Cyrus etc) and some 80s/90s tunes which need drive tones and modulations (Purple Rain, Oasis, Belinda Carlisle(!!)) etc. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1539
    Two notes Opus, 

Great wee pedal
    CarpeDiem said:
    @ChrisCox1994 Which of the modelling units also need to use a DI box before connecting to the PA system? This is probably another reason for the OP to consider using a small amp instead. 
    The hx stomp is fine straight into a desk and works great for this use case. 

Also doubles up great as a "I don't want to buy that pedal but I need it for one song" swiss army knife - there's a reason it's on so many pro boards in the sideman and high end functions scene

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    Boss ir2 by a mile.   Great sounding pedal, easy to use and the cleans/crunch channels are fab.   
  • NickBNickB Frets: 269
    I have a Simplifier MKii which sounds great. It takes pedals well and reacts like a valve amp. I use mine on the USA setting. 
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
    I had an IR200- with some York Audio Twin Reverb IRs in, on the 'Twin' model, it did the job. But, to echo the above- still sounded nowhere near as good as even my £75 Vox Pathfinder 15r. Maybe a Tonemaster Princeton with the DI out would suit?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9676
    thomasw88 said:
    Boss ir2 by a mile.   Great sounding pedal, easy to use and the cleans/crunch channels are fab.   
    This.

Superb and simple in every way.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1058
    thomasw88 said:

Are these not a bit fiddly to use in a live situation?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4861
    I've owned (temporarily) played through so many of these things in the past year or so, trying to find the "go direct" solution that worked for me. So, only talking about ones I've used... 

If you really can get by with a single channel clean solution and won't want to tweak it or change it during performance, then I'd suggest the Simplifier MK II. You can get a nice Fender-ish clean and it takes pedals like the clean pedal platform analogue amp that it is. The cab sim is absolutely fine. 

The natural clean and twin clean channels on the Boss IR-2 are good, and it's dead easy to use, but I didn't have great success with mild overdrive pedals in front. Heavy distortion was fine. 

I didn't like the ACS-1 or the Iridium. I don't like Line 6 amps, either. The Boss clean models on the GT1000 are very nice but, again, harder to get it to take pedals like a real amp. 

I've settled on a Tonex. For an analogue bigot like me, that's a big leap of faith, but it's sounding good and feels good. Also taking pedals well if you set it up to avoid input clipping of the AD convertor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 860
    If you love valve amps then getting one with built in IRs was the answer for me.
    A lunchbox head really isn’t that much of a pain to carry than a large pedal amp sim.

Feels and sounds way closer to what I’m used to.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    edited June 3

I have a Quilter Tone block, which can be used with a cab,  or straight to FOH.   For a clean pedal platform it is the best I've ever had and I've been down the rabbit hole..  Take pedals like a champ and has perfectly usable reverb on board.  It will crunch up as well but I think its better as a clean amp.
     I  take it to every gig as a backup for my main amp and use it for some festivals/ and rehearsals.Its about the size of a 1.5 Boss 500 series.  The point being it works perfectly as a main amp, and is small enough to be a backup,.

Of the pedals, the IR2 was the nicest I had although did have to find a couple of IR's that worked with it.