Is B&Q Trade Emulsion pain ok for a kitchen ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2842
Mrs Sev112 has come home today and said she had bought the paint for the kitchen.  Despit em saying for weeks and weeks “we need Kitchen paint, because look at the En-suite where you put normal emulsion on the walls and all of them looks like constant tracks of water dripping down them” … anyway she has had mixed up B&Q Trade Emulsiom paint !?

Now she says that the guy at B&Q said “it will be fine, it’s better than normal paint” or words to that effect.  But I am not sure. We are paying chunks for a new kitchen and having works done, and we might end up with walls that will look damp in a kitchen with loads of steam / heat etc?

anyone any experience ?  I’ve said to her it has to go back but not too pleased ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6820
    It needs to be paint that you can wipe down. Standard emulsion probably won't be up to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2842
    That’s what I was thinking :( 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    Standard Emulsion is absolutely fine .......B and Q paint is not the same quality as Dulux unfortunately although it's probably made for them by Johnstones or Leyland .
    Emulsion comes in 2 types ;Vinyl Matt or vinyl Silk .....the latter is more wipeable but a bit shiney and has that 'council house' look ........Matt is far nicer .
    If you have a condensation problem it will affect whatever paint you have ......answer ;get better ventilation or open the window.
    The trick is actually whatever paint you use in a kitchen but the totally matt Acrylic Sealer Varnish and put 2 coats on .....it's literally like water so dead easy to apply .......totally wipeable/steam resistant etc 
    Polyvine is excellent so is the one they sell in Leyland SDM
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 663
    Dominic said:
    Standard Emulsion is absolutely fine .......B and Q paint is not the same quality as Dulux unfortunately although it's probably made for them by Johnstones or Leyland .
    Emulsion comes in 2 types ;Vinyl Matt or vinyl Silk .....the latter is more wipeable but a bit shiney and has that 'council house' look ........Matt is far nicer .
    If you have a condensation problem it will affect whatever paint you have ......answer ;get better ventilation or open the window.
    The trick is actually whatever paint you use in a kitchen but the totally matt Acrylic Sealer Varnish and put 2 coats on .....it's literally like water so dead easy to apply .......totally wipeable/steam resistant etc 
    Polyvine is excellent so is the one they sell in Leyland SDM
    I live in a Council House, so Vinyl Silk will be ideal for me then ?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    Sorry, that's not meant in that way , it's not meant to be a deprecation ......it's just standard spec for council contracts and housing trusts in all specs for work in my .........in the same way that woodchip is the go-to for bad walls 
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 663
    It's Cool......No worries.....