Neck / pocket too tight

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
edited May 23 in Making & Modding
So you've got a guitar that's recently developed a stress mark in the finish above the neck pocket as the neck appears to be too tight a fit.
Do you:

a) Try and enlarge the pocket?

or

b) shave a bit off the top of the neck?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    c) leave it alone.

Can you post a pic?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    It's my Mirrortop guitar, it's got a wee crack in the mirror. I need to do something to take the stress off it and shaving the neck seems the easier option but just wondering if there is an accepted convention for this on a 'standard' guitar.

*Mirrors are a pain to photograph!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    That looks like the problem is with the pocket, not the neck - it’s not too tight, it’s shaped wrongly. If it’s worrying you I would take the neck out and have a look which is the easier option.

What is the mirror made from, perspex? If so it’s probably best just to file away the edge of it and not the wood itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    Yeah it's mirror acrylic sheet. It's been absolutely fine since I built it in 2008/2009 but I recently noticed this crack and need to stop it getting worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom