Monitor upgrade from Presonus Eris 4.5 to ?

I currently have Presonus Eris 4.5 monitors.  They are decent for the money but not very revealing for mixing.

I only have a small bedroom for music, currently untreated, but I’m going to get some reasonable budget acoustic panels (100mm GIK B4) for the first reflection points and corner bass traps to make the room a bit better. 

At the same time the plan is to upgrade the monitors.  I think for the room probably around 5inch.

Looking at the following:-

Focal Alpha 50
Adam T5V
Kali LP6

Another options id adding a sub to the Presonus but I think that will cause as many issues as it solves in a small room.
The Eris don’t go down low enough so I definitely need better bass extension, but I’m not mixing EDM so don’t need massive lows.

Genelec would be great but probably too pricey as I think it would be 8030’s I would be wanting.  Same goes for Neuman and Eve options around that size.  I could perhaps stretch to the KH80’s but to make full use of them I’d need the measurement mic which takes them over a grand and they are only 4 inch woofers.  That said they do extend much lower than the Presonus (which you would expect considering the price difference).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29050
    The Eris 8s go an entire octave deeper than the 4.5s based on the paper specs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111
    There's a pair of AE22's in the classifieds for a great price. Sealed box so work in a room with bad acoustics, incredible time response speakers. If you want 'revealing' these are worth considering. There are a lot of misconceptions about 'extended' bass.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4738
    Sporky said:
    The Eris 8s go an entire octave deeper than the 4.5s based on the paper specs.
    They would be a lot better, but probably getting a bit big for the room.  The Eris 5 would be okay, they are properly bi amped as well rather than the 4.5 multimedia type design.  

blobb said:
    There's a pair of AE22's in the classifieds for a great price. Sealed box so work in a room with bad acoustics, incredible time response speakers. If you want 'revealing' these are worth considering. There are a lot of misconceptions about 'extended' bass.
    They look great, but probably physically too big for my set up, which is basically a desk in a small bedroom.
    I don’t necessarily need extended bass, just something with more extension than the 70hz of the 4.5’s.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22518

Of the three choices you put up, I'd go with the LP6 mk 2. I wasn't that impressed by the Alphas when I had them. If you want even better bass, the Kali IN-5 monitors are superb. I use mine for everything, guitars to normal viewing through a laptop. I was watching old cricket footage from the 1999 World Cup today whilst dark clouds gathered overhead outside. I kept hearing rumbling and muted the volume. Duh, it was actually rumbling from the video footage, not outside. The detail on there really is something else in that price bracket. 

• Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 90
    I went from a pair of presonus speakers to Yamaha Ns10s and they brought my mixes on a ton. I don’t have a big mix room and the sealed box really helped. As above the AE22s are definately worth considering. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4738

Of the three choices you put up, I'd go with the LP6 mk 2. I wasn't that impressed by the Alphas when I had them. If you want even better bass, the Kali IN-5 monitors are superb. I use mine for everything, guitars to normal viewing through a laptop. I was watching old cricket footage from the 1999 World Cup today whilst dark clouds gathered overhead outside. I kept hearing rumbling and muted the volume. Duh, it was actually rumbling from the video footage, not outside. The detail on there really is something else in that price bracket. 
    Thanks, these do look really good.  Definitely on the cards if I can stretch the budget enough.
    The white ones look cool.  They look quite big but, the front porting over the Adam probably mean they don’t take up massively more space.