Copper Leaf? (or silver/gold?)

What's Hot
I've had a loose idea of something I'd love to do along the lines of Robbie Robertson's Strat, but no idea where to start. I did find a good Crimson Guitars video earlier, and seem to recall @WezV might have done some distressed-leaf-finished stuff a while back, but my memory on that isn't perfect. 

Any experience from the collective on applying this to guitars? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    edited May 26
    Franchin Guitars looks like a good option, but far more money (I assume!) than doing my own. But perhaps also a lot less work.... D 

That copper is just so pretty though... just needs a black guard 

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1519
    I genuinely can't choose between them. The copper probably edges it, but then again ...
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    GoFish said:
    I genuinely can't choose between them. The copper probably edges it, but then again ...
    Yeah they're great aren't they? The copper is the winner for me simply because you basically never see that colour on a guitar, whereas I'm sure I'll have a Goldtop LP at some point, and already have a silver JM. 

It may or may not happen, but I'd had a hankering for a fairly bespoke build for quite a while, which usually means it'll happen eventually... 

HS, no middle pickup. Possible using something like a Rio Grande Twangbucker so you can go full-Tele most of the time, but hit a button and crank it for EVH/Prince vibes. Feels like the perfect guitar for what I'm doing lately, and would just be super fun...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16916
    Yeah, I did a few. Copper paint was fun too
    Found some 14 year old pics

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Found some 14 year old pics

That's the stuff!! 

My biggest concern is just whether I actually have the ability to do this in my apartment - we really don't have anywhere I can make a mess at the moment, never mind spray a final clear coat. But I'd love to have a go...

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    Not that messy of a job really, assuming using an already painted body, scuff the surface with Scotch Brite, wipe clean, apply the “Size” with a brush, apply the leaf, hoover up the excess leaf fragments, finish with wipe on poly or shellac, no need to spray
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    Looks great, but I can't help but wonder whether finger prints will be an issue in practice 
    paulnb57 said:
    Not that messy of a job really, assuming using an already painted body, scuff the surface with Scotch Brite, wipe clean, apply the “Size” with a brush, apply the leaf, hoover up the excess leaf fragments, finish with wipe on poly or shellac, no need to spray
    That's good to know. I can definitely get wipe-on shellac here. I assume it's just a few light coats then sand & polish? I'd want this to get a bit of age on it over time so that's definitely preferable to poly. I was thinking nitro clear coat otherwise, which I can do in small doses in the spare bathroom (so far limited to literally 2 coats over a headstock decal) but would prefer not to do a whole body... 

Otherwise there is a maker space opening up near me soon, but not sure if they'll have a spray booth. I should probably find out anyway as somewhere I can access proper tool and a bit of space to make mess would be great
    I used a can of acrylic laquer on that one, just a couple of coats to keep it really thin.  It wore through nicely

I did others with rustins plastic coating, most of which cracked over time.  Not in a good way, the leaf and coating combined gave razor sharp edges to the cracks.