Suggestions on a postcard to.......

donslowdonslow Frets: 3
edited November 2014 in Amps
Hey all,

Got a gas attack for a new amp but having turned my hand and becoming a bass player primarily for the last few years ago I'm not completely up to date with guitar amps much anymore, I need some advice on which way to turn

Looking for......
15w or less (unless it has built in power scaling)
Tubey goodness
Good cleans
Nice breakup/overdrive
Ideally an effects loop
Something quite vintagey

I'm not averse to using pedals for dirt or anything else or buying a power soak/attenuator for the right amp

Playing strats and teles mostly
Playing blues and rock mostly
Playing mostly at home now and the occasional practice/small gig

Will probably be looking at the used market if that's any good

Thinking of a vox ac15 or orange dual terror with a 1x12 cabinet possibly

Last amps I owned were a rockerverb 50 but not really playing high gain stuff so much anymore and an ac30 absolutely loved both but too much amp for what I need now

What fits my bill?!

Many thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Those vox ac 15's tick all your boxes me thinks. I tested one recently alongside the fender blues junior and a black star. The vox had a bit more beef and less boxyness going on due to its bigger cabinet but it is a weighty beast for a 15 watter which is why I went for the fender. But he vox is good, very good!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I've got a Dual Terror which I enjoy muchly - no effects loop though. Also I prefer it with single coils rather than humbuggies, but since my main squeeze is a strat that suits me just fine.

I did consider an AC15 but wanted a head and cab as I live up 4 flights of stairs and can't be arsed carrying a combo up them. I just take the head and use a cab at the studio/ venue. I did get a 1 x12 in case of emergencies though.

I really like the simplicity of the controls, however you might not!
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 840
    edited November 2014
    What about a Laney Lionheart L5T? Lovely amp and only 5w. Sometimes pop up at a decent price. I had the 20w head and am regretting selling it. Wouldn't mind picking up the 5w combo for home/ rehearsal use
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited November 2014
    15. Watts at home might as well be 50, far too loud unless they have a decent MV or you use an attenuator. My Dual Rec is 100 watts and sound great at home, my Bogner Mojado is 18 watts and sounds shite unless it's too loud for home then it sounds lovely. Don't put a 'watts' limit on your choice of a new amp, you may be needlessly limiting your choices
  • Lonestar Special? Cleans are stunning, great reverb, good range to low to medium gain drives, each channel switchable from 30/15/5 watts. Loop works well - seem to be very cheap used (compared to new price)....
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    edited November 2014
    John_A said:
    15. Watts at home might as well be 50, far too loud unless they have a decent MV or you use an attenuator. My Dual Rec is 100 watts and sound great at home, my Bogner Mojado is 18 watts and sounds shite unless it's too loud for home then it sounds lovely. Don't put a 'watts' limit on your choice of a new amp, you may be needlessly limiting your choices
    That's what I was thinking. As long as you're ok with either preamp distortion or some form of powerscaling/attenuation (or just need cleans or are willing to use dirt pedals!), the overall wattage doesn't seem to influence how good an amp sounds at super-low volumes, since even a 5 watter is barely ticking over at bedroom volume, just the same as a 100 watter. In fact, in my (limited) experience I might even go so far as to say that at super-low volumes my higher wattage amps sound better. And even 5 watts cranked is way too loud for most people's definition of home volume...