Fender SuperSonic 22 heads down to £649 at GAK...

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2392
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Still sounds like quite a lot for an amp of only 22W that looks cheap, isn't all that well-built and has known reliability issues.

The original price was laughable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Still sounds like quite a lot for an amp of only 22W that looks cheap, isn't all that well-built and has known reliability issues.

The original price was laughable.
    you will be ordering one then?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    The pedal that comes with it is ridiculous. They should have designed a single switch pedal for those who would only use the channel switching i.e. leave the fat on or off, the reverb on or off and don't use the fx loop.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2616
    edited November 2014
    Interesting comments.  I've been looking at these and wondering if they made more sense than splashing out boutique money, but the reliability issues put me right off.  What would people suggest as an alternative, portable, Fender-style head?  The DRRI heads also look a bit overpriced.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I've only seen problems with the 60W version of this amp, which is due to the close proximity of the power valve screen supply PCB trace to the zener diodes that regulate the LT supply for channel switching etc.

The zener diodes get hot (not helped by UK amps running hotter than spec due to being wired to EU mains voltage) and this aids arcing from the screen grid trace.

The 22W version has lower HT than the 60W version, so may not suffer from this problem.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2392
    A lot of them suffer from unbearable popping when switching channels. I had to sell my combo because it was so noticeable and Fender themselves weren't able to fix it under warranty.
  • The first reports of the supersonic 22 made me want one so bad, then all I read about was "issues"
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17732
    tFB Trader
    They have a few issues. 

They pop on channel change (apparently this is by design the Pro Sonic does it as well)
    They also have an unusably large foot pedal with features you won't use on it, a stupid footswitch cable which breaks easily and when it does it's really hard to replace and in breaking is likely to short out a blow up a couple of components.

That said they are small, giggable and sound fantastic. There is a reason you see quite a few pedal demos being done with them.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9632
    edited November 2014
    I had one with no issues whatsoever, and Ive played through a couple live.... Great little amp, good for gigging and stupid cheap money at that price....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom