Left Handed STRATOCASTER (!) build questions

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I'll admit I was a little concerned the dark finish kit wouldn't look too good with the flame veneer, or that it might just obscure the flame pattern too much. But happy to see it actually looks excellent, and will only get better after the clear coats have gone on. Top job!

Great job with the headstock also - some care has gone into that I can see. I know what you're saying re the time taken though - sometimes things on a build do take a lot of time, but those hours seem worth it when you get a nice result. Can't see what you mean re the wonky screw holes - it all looks very well fitted to me. Great stuff anyhow - a fine job so far, carry on like this and it's going to be a bloody nice guitar. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I've done a massive, monumental cock up, however. I don't know if you can see the strange, wobbly marks (most noticeable on the bottom horn on the full body finish photo), but I think I managed to take patches of the veneer off when I tried to rub a few fingerprint marks from the front before finishing :'(

I feel like i've totally ruined it now, there are blank and more faint patches of flame throughout the thing now, and some are in noticeable places. Bugger :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can see the wobbly marks, but if those are what you're worried about, I'm not sure it's a disaster - there does still seem to be flame running through them... And of course, remember that the scratcplate will cover some area anyway. So are you sure it's not OK? :)
  • @Megii That is a very good point, and one that I've just thought of simultaneously. There are another couple, but I hope i'll be able to patch them up. 

Having done a quick google search, I'm not entirely sure that it isn't just a bit of natural figuring, as it does seem to be basically at the same patch on both sides... something like this:

And, if I change the contrast of the original photo I got, there are patches at similar areas:
    I guess this MIGHT suggest that it is a part of the maple's figuring. I sincerely hope so- is it really possible to remove a veneer with a quick rub with 0000 grade steel wool?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I would be surprised if it is possible to remove the veneer with the fine steel wool tbh. And it does seem likely to me that it's the figuring in the wood you are seeing. I think I'd say be gentle with the wire wool in future - just smooth gently in the direction of the grain without too much pressure, and no hard rubbing or anything.. I think when you start to put the clear coats on, things will look better, and the figuring will appear more as an attractive feature and variation in the wood. I reckon you're ok anyhow! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you, my friend, great to hear. We can but wait and see! Looking foward to building up the finish some more!
  • Done the first coat of the neck. No photos, as there is nothing interesting to report. Please could someone school me in the use of wire wool though? I got the Liberon, and used it fairly lightly, and it shed little wires of steel everywhere, all over the wood, and I think I got a good lung-full and probably a good nose-full too... tips please?
  • themeinside;458613" said:
    Done the first coat of the neck. No photos, as there is nothing interesting to report. Please could someone school me in the use of wire wool though? I got the Liberon, and used it fairly lightly, and it shed little wires of steel everywhere, all over the wood, and I think I got a good lung-full and probably a good nose-full too... tips please?
    I learnt this the hard way too...

DONT TEAR IT. You need to cut it with sharp scissors. Then, I bundle a small amount up a bit and gently rub. None should stick in the finish - if it does, it didn't cure for long enough.

Be gentle with it. It's more about smoothing, cleaning and tidying than it is removal of material, but you should see a bit of oil/wudtone/whatever on the wire wool.

It will still shed some metal, but it won't be so bad if cut rather than torn. Just a small piece needed each time, gently and quickly rub over, then discard. And then maybe hoover :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yet again I find myself agreeing with the above ^ :D - but yes, I use scissors, and cut off maybe about a 10 cm length of the wire wool. And then it's just a case of the smoothing and getting the surface clean and de-knibbed ready for the next coat, and no manic hard rubbing needed. Bits of metal do still get shed, so keep the work at arm's length, and don't breath heavily! Another tip is not to do any wire wooling when magnetic pickups are nearby, or cover said pickups with tape. A lump of Blu tack is good for picking up shed metal powdery bits from the wool. Also, I like to clean the surface (neck or body) with a little naphtha (i.e. Zippo lighter fuel) on a sheet of paper kitchen towel, just to get the surface really clean, free of any dust and grease, just before putting on another coat of finish.
  • Perfect stuff, @ThePrettyDamned and @Megii, thank you very much once again. Onto the next coat on the body today! 
  • THE STUFF IS VILE. I CAN'T DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I HATE IT. It leaves an awful steel dust everywhere, and even though I am just barely touching the finish, just dragging it across, I have managed to scratch the finish. 

Would it be possible to use something like 600 grit sandpaper as a general replacement, used very lightly?
    THE STUFF IS VILE. I CAN'T DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I HATE IT. It leaves an awful steel dust everywhere, and even though I am just barely touching the finish, just dragging it across, I have managed to scratch the finish. 

Would it be possible to use something like 600 grit sandpaper as a general replacement, used very lightly?
    The 600 might just about work I'd say, and use in the grain direction, although I'd really prefer maybe 1000 or 1200 grit, or even finer. Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with the wire wool though :( - seems a lot worse than my experience from your description, I wonder if they've changed the formula or something.
  • @Megii I'll see if I can source some finer grit, it's just I have some 600 to hand. It's probably just a problem with my technique or this batch of Liberon- the dust has got everywhere!
    @Megii I'll see if I can source some finer grit, it's just I have some 600 to hand. It's probably just a problem with my technique or this batch of Liberon- the dust has got everywhere!
    Could be a bad batch maybe. I think get the dust vac'd up, and probably knock the wire wool on the head after that. Doesn't sound like you've had much of a fun time somehow!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    Generally speaking the liberon is better than cheaper brands for this, it gives off a finer metal dust rather than sharp little shards that stick in your fingers... But they are all abrasives and will create dust, just like sandpaper will too.

You can look at wetsanding techniques to prevent dust, this will give you a messy slurry to clean up instead.... And its very easy to go too far.
  • Had to do a bit of a rush job, because the big day is imminent. All bolted together, and looking pretty good. Just the nut to fit, logo to transfer and strings to put on, and then it shall be done! Just in time :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bloody well done mate! Of course take lots of pictures and post them on here when you get a chance please. :)
  • And we are done! There are a few dead spots, but that's to be expected- the nut is too high, and thus the bridge is to compensate (though that gives us a bit of 'up and down', so that's pretty awesome in itself). Dad is rather happy, methinks. BIG thank you to @ThePrettyDamned, @Megii, @WezV and all the others that have helped out and supported this project. It has come to fruition, and it seems to be pretty good :D

And here is the obligatory 'Father and Son' guitar shot!

*and breathe* ^_^
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fantastic work! Really glad it panned out, and it's such an educational experience I find.

Every partscaster I do gets better, and I learn more and more each time. Yours looks quite excellent, great colour scheme!
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Looking good