Extension Cab 16 Ohm

SRichSRich Frets: 763
edited November 2014 in Amps
I've had a little (but loud) 8W Ashdown Essex Blonde for many years and wondered if I can use a 16 Ohm Ext Cab as well as the stock 8 Ohm Celestion in the combo....

Am I likely to do any harm here?...and if not what am I likely to experience in terms of volume drop or gain? It's a closed back 112 and this combo I use open backed.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Anyone?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72831
    No, you shouldn't connect speakers to both jacks at the same time. If the internal speaker is 8-ohm, you can't connect an extension cab at the same time at all, unless you're willing to mismatch it - which is actually fine, almost certainly. To do that you need a splitter cable/box which you can plug both the internal and external speakers into, and then plug that into the 8-ohm jack. You can use either an 8-ohm or 16-ohm extension cab. You should get a bit more volume even with the slight loss of power due to running mismatched - maybe substantially more, if the other cab is big and efficient.

It would be much better if the internal speaker was 16 ohms. It would also be better if the speaker cable wasn't sticking out of the back like that! I seem to remember that from when I tried an early one of these. It's very likely to get snagged on something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    That's great advice...........I'll look around for a splitter and see where that takes me.

Muchas gracias! 

• I'm sure @ICBM will correct me if I'm wrong, but my thought would be to make a 'series splitter' box (where the two outputs are in series rather than parallel) and run an 8 ohm extension cab in series with the 8 ohm internal speaker from the 16 ohm output, thereby maintaining full power.