Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Charlie Watkins (mr WEM) died today

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31023
Shame So many innovations. And best grille cloth ever!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• :(

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    A true British music industry legend.

RIP

:(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    Very sad - he was a really nice guy and a true innovator. 

RIP Charlie - your advice will always be remembered.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• That is a shame. I've always wanted to see one of those wedge shaped dominators, which looks as great as they sound.

And that circuit is still popular today.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    Shame, WEM had such an important role in its day including the world famous WEM Copycat - a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, my cousin had a red WEM Rapier 33 and a little (5w I think) all valve WEM practice amp that was really loud (if a bit noisy) that he lent me when I started out - had to restring the 33 as although it was RH he was LH.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

How many of us started out with WEM amps in the '70s. Made decent tone (and volume) possible on a reasonable budget. I've still got 3 of his amps and they're great little tone boxes.  

Then we went to see our hero's live and they were using his delightfully deafening PA's!

As much a hero as the "stars" who used his gear.

• Sad news.   :(

I have a mate who repairs amps who told me Charlie was always very helpful and approachable.

The first valve amp I gigged was a borrowed Dominator bass combo and my first delay unit was a borrowed Copicat. I'm off to watch those wonderfully fetishistic long slow tracking shots from Pink Floyd at Pompeii of their state-of-the-art Watkins/WEM PA stacks stencilled 'Pink Floyd London'.
  • steamabacus;408303" said:
    Sad news.   :(

I have a mate who repairs amps who told me Charlie was always very helpful and approachable.

The first valve amp I gigged was a borrowed Dominator bass combo and my first delay unit was a borrowed Copicat. I'm off to watch those wonderfully fetishistic long slow tracking shots from Pink Floyd at Pompeii of their state-of-the-art Watkins/WEM PA stacks stencilled 'Pink Floyd London'.
    Yes! Totally forgot about that, that epic performance of echoes! Wem everywhere.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Still got my Dominator mk111 great amps. Most recent one i saw was being used by Jake Bugg.. Ace amps.
  • My first decent amp was a WEM Dominator III. RIP to something of an unsung hero....
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Back in the day I had a WEM 40w solid state PA amp and also a copicat. Innovative and indeed cutting edge but poor old Charlie got overtaken as others pushed farther and harder as is the way of the world.
    None the less he was a genuine leader in his field and not some corporate slut and my respect is duly given to a legend.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1644

I have half of a Mersey Super 15 in working but tatty order.

If it was still a complete combo it would be worth quite a bit I have been told. Seems they only made about ten!

Dave.

• Very sad news. My first proper amp was a late 70s WEM Westminster 15 that I bought second hand when I was 18 (29 years ago). I used it for several years before moving on to more expensive gear. When I got back into playing guitar a few years ago I got it out of the cupboard and it worked perfectly. Used it yesterday and I was thinking that it was such a lovely solid bit of kit. Rest in peace Mr Watkins.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • I've still got my Copicat :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • So many good times with a WEM amp, all through my teenage years and early twenty's i played one. Got some money and though I could do better. Turns out I couldn't, still play through one now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2385
    sorry to hear that :(
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    I've still got my Copicat :)
    As have I!  RIP Charlie.
  • longjaw;408631" said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

I've still got my Copicat :)

As have I!  RIP Charlie.
    Very repetitive....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited November 2014
    My first amp was a WEM Westminster and my best mate had a Dominator. I bought a Rapier 33 a couple of years later for about £20. Later I had a 30w head that bolted to it's matching 2x12 cab (can't remember the model). My first proper band had WEM 4x12 columns for the PA and a Copycat whirring away next to the sound man.

RIP Charlie, you gave so many of us a great start in our musical endeavours.