Flying with a tube amp

What's Hot
NPPNPP Frets: 236
edited November 2014 in Amps
I have a late-60s Vox AC50 head which is currently in Germany. I am toying with the idea of bringing it to the UK, getting it serviced and looked over and either use or sell it. 

What's the best way of getting it here? Take the tubes out and carry them in hand luggage, and pack up the amp as well as possible and put it in the hold? Or try to get the amp in as my hand luggage, although it's too big and too heavy to qualify, and put my bag in the hold instead? 

As I've travelled with various pedals, pickups and other stuff I assume that security will not take the tubes off me but I guess I'd better check with Lufthansa first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    tbh, there are lots of very good parcel carriers in Europe that will do the job far cheaper and easier. Remove the tubes and pack it properly and let them do the grunting.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31022
    NPP said:
    I have a late-60s Vox AC50 head which is currently in Germany. I am toying with the idea of bringing it to the UK, getting it serviced and looked over and either use or sell it. 

What's the best way of getting it here? Take the tubes out and carry them in hand luggage, and pack up the amp as well as possible and put it in the hold? Or try to get the amp in as my hand luggage, although it's too big and too heavy to qualify, and put my bag in the hold instead? 

As I've travelled with various pedals, pickups and other stuff I assume that security will not take the tubes off me but I guess I'd better check with Lufthansa first.
    Serious- look at Club class deals and take on as hand luggage- but ask first.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Courier it to yourself with the valves out and separately packed inside it.

If you think couriers are bad for smashing things up and losing things, airport baggage handlers are worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NPP said:
    Take the tubes out and carry them in hand luggage
    Seriously? Try getting some valves through security in your hand luggage, and please get somebody with a video camera on hand to go with you ;)

I can't imagine that many - if any - of the securo-monkeys at an airport have ever seen a valve, and the motto these days seems to be "fear it if you don't recognise it". I'd put money on you missing your flight.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    I flew with a carry-on bag full of valves, and did get stopped at security - they were quite amused and interested as to what they were... but that was pre-9/11.

They showed me what they looked like on the x-ray screen - the glass doesn't show up, just the innards. If you had to design something that would pass as a nuclear bomb trigger for a James Bond film, that's what it would look like :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    ok, doesn't seem such a good idea then. I just thought that as I am flying that way regularly anyway and rarely take anything with me I'd just make use of my luggage allowance for once. 

I wasn't overly impressed with UPS when I used them once, expensive and not at all careful (package ripped open and corners smashed in - I had packed everything carefully enough not to suffer any damage thankfully). 

• I just sold a 1978 Orange head to a chap in the States. I wrapped it foam rubber and packed it in a huge box full of waste paper packaging. I also covered the box in FRAGILE stickers, before handing it over to Fed Ex. When it got there the chassis had ripped out of the cab. I reckon the airport baggage handlers dropped it from quite a hight.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've flown to the states and back with my mesa head a few times now and never had any bother. The only time I've ever had to take it out of the case was in Toronto and the security dude was a fellow gas fiend who asked if he could have a look. He said they get guys flying through regularly with amp heads.