Pete's Burl Maple SG - pretty much finished!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Can't wait to see it finished, and I bet you are feeling the same right now.

Very nice, and not far to go now.

Love the Swift headstock logo BTW

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Can't wait to see it finished, and I bet you are feeling the same right now.

Very nice, and not far to go now.

Love the Swift headstock logo BTW
    Thanks, Chris  :)

I have to reign myself in at this stage - I'm usually so keen to get them finished, I rush, then disaster.  Trying to pace myself on this one!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 560

Thats a beauty :-)

Cant wait to see & hear the finished item.

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

Pretty much finished!  I've got to let Pete (aka the buyer) have a play and maybe slim the neck to suit (it presently is about the size and shape of a vintage LP which might be a bit deep for him...easier to take away than to put back!).  Also got to let the varnish thoroughly harden before final polishing.
    But...pretty much done  :)
    It sounds great.  I'll do some clips of my rubbish playing when I get a moment.

Here it is:

Thanks for looking and all your encouraging feedback along the journey

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bloody hell! Yes please :)
  • Also, expect questions on masked binding. :)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That looks good enough to eat  :)

Damn fine job man, ebony board to die for, and that top just looks superb, and the right pick guard to show all that lovely colour and flame.  Too good to give to someone else me-thinks.  (Still he's paying the bills I suppose)

Well done 
    :)

OK - I warned you my playing is rubbish!

Just a couple of clips to give an idea of the 3-way switch sounds for clean and overdriven.  Just through my trusty Vox Valvetronix and through a pocket recorder.

You have been warned!
    Clean:

and a touch Overdriven:

Andy
  • Very nice, the in between on the clean sound is really nice!

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    That is gorgeous, well done. And you just use Ronseal and white spirit for the finish? How does that hold up?
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Apologies for being late to the party Andy! But I think that's a magnificent guitar - sounds exactly like a great SG should to me, and the looks are spot on. I do like that 4-ply pickguard btw, nice touch. I'd say exactly the sort of thing Gibson should be doing themselves, but aren't... :D
    Very nice, the in between on the clean sound is really nice!

Depends what you compare with.  It's the standard heavy-duty polyurethane varnish that I remember my father raving about when it was first brought out (what seems like) hundreds of years ago when he realised that we could bash our toys on the dining room table and not mark it at all.  Then again, it is nowhere near as rugged as a commercially-applied poly or nitro guitar finish (but probably more because of the typical wipe-one thickness rather than the material itself).  
    Then again, compared with my previous obsession (and great experiences) with Tru-oil, it is a MUCH more rugged finish and stays shiny too!  
    The white spirit doesn't affect the strength of the fully cured varnish - it just makes it much easier to apply a cloth-wiped finish.  It also makes it quicker between coats but, of course, needs more coats.  Time-wise it is therefore about evens but much more likely to end up with a smooth finish.  I wipe on using the blue micro-fibre cloth from a Homebase £2 pack of three.

Thanks folks, by the way, for the nice feedback.  Pete (our old gits band bassist who fancies himself as a lead player) saw it for the first time last night when I did a 'final fit' to see if he wanted the neck tweaking at all.  He was really pleased with it.  Phew! 
    :)
    DeeTee said:
    That is gorgeous, well done. And you just use Ronseal and white spirit for the finish? How does that hold up?
    Technology - don't you just love it.  My answer above was supposed to be to DeeTee's question here!  Fingers Thumbs All And - make these words into a well known phrase  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Very nice work. The owner will be well chuffed. 
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Yep, looks like a wonderful build, and those clips sound great too. I think I've given you about 7 Wows in this thread now!
    Rich said:
    Yep, looks like a wonderful build, and those clips sound great too. I think I've given you about 7 Wows in this thread now!
    Like a lady can never have too many shoes, a fella can never have too many Wows  :)

Thanks for the encouraging feedback, folks

Andy