Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A Les Paul build like no other - jawdropping

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Have you got a link streethawk? I really enjoy watching these videos; gives me hope that my build might turn out after all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16825
    edited September 2013
    Rocker said:
    The posts who said it is 'a waste of wood' might have missed the point.  
    well that was mainly me... I don't think I did miss the point.   If you hang around on guitar building forums you will see the 1-piece guitar question come up from time to time.  and you will see the occasionally poor example from someone who is saying "see, you were all wrong"... so I will admit I am biassed against the idea from the start

now this is a very good example but the idea is still flawed and still wasteful.   The videos are great because they  show he is a master of hand tool use and clever jig making and everybody can learn from that. but look at the amount of wood and complexity of jig he needs to veneer a headstock??? its about 7 mins into the first video.  at what point does it stop being good workmanship?

I do understand why someone would wan't to challenge themselves like this.  I am not known for avoiding challenging builds myself.  Also, if I ever come across a perfect slab of wood I think will work for a 1-piece guitar I reserve the right to be a complete hypocrite and give it a go ;)

But it is a massive waste of wood and if i ever do give it a go I hope someone will point that out to me.   also point me to the bit where he is book matching the top and discovers a massive flaw.    I have sliced open enough innocent looking blank to know you can  never be sure what you will find.   Imagine if that fatal flaw had been in the massive slab near the neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great watch!, the guy has some amazing technical skills.

Maybe now that the guitar is finished, he can get back to learning Sweet child o mine :-)
  • As an example of brilliant craftsmanship, this is terrific. I agree to an extent about the wastage - you wouldn't want to run a business making guitars like that. But I'm in awe of the process and the thought, planning, and work that went into it.

Guitar Hive - building a community of guitar builders and customisers one fret at a time.

• Well impressed by his use of a handsaw!